586,104 active members*
3,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Opinions On CNC Wood Router

I'm a retired, old school C(NC) man, having been in manufacturing for over 35 years, exclusively the metal cutting industry for Tier 1 automotive suppliers including GM, FORD, CHRYSLER, VW, BMW, HONDA, DETROIT DIESEL, TIMKEN, and many others. I learned NC Machining in 1975 and took off from there earning a degree in industrial manufacturing in 1997 and retiring as a Manufacturing Engineer in 2010. I am looking to buy a CNC Router in order to do some woodworking projects to help generate supplemental income. A friend told me to come here to get advice on what machine to buy and/or components so I can build one myself. The commercial machines I see sold on ebay and such don't seem to fit my criteria and don't think I want to jump into laser cutting just yet. Opinions and advice welcome.

Re: Opinions On CNC Wood Router

Budget?
    Size?
    Type of projects / Requirements?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by turntoolpro View Post
    ...I am looking to buy a CNC Router in order to do some woodworking projects to help generate supplemental income. A friend told me to come here to get advice on what machine to buy and/or components so I can build one myself....
    This is definitely a good place to get help, as your friend indicated. Since there is no such thing as the "best machine for you", there are a lot of opinions here that do work.
    Because of the large number of available parts, you get to choose which ones you like better.

I like the cncrouterparts.com as a starting point for cnc parts and an idea of what a cnc will cost.

Working size should be in the range of 24 x 36 x 12 (X,Y,Z) or thereabouts. Bigger is better as the projects I'm looking to make are wood plaques in two to three sizes and current largest size is about 14" x 20". I can always go larger with a bigger workable area. I have much experience from being a mfg. engineer processing work and writing CNC programs, from longhand mind you -we didn't have Master Cam when I learned! Nowadays I would not have a problem using software and have seen this one called Mach 3. I'd bet I could do what I need to do with Master Cam though. As far as budget, we all want a good bargain -the cheaper the better - but the old adage 'you get what you pay for' applies here as well. So, taking my friend Troy's advice and build my own machine has taken a hold of my brain and I think that is the best way to go. I just need to learn more on spindles and stepping motors and tables and software and everything else need to get going. I guess my budget would be $1k but less than $2K. I was tossing the idea of an actual CNC Mill like a Mori-Seiki VM40 as I could do more projects cutting metal like I want to do too. After all, a CNC Router is really just a 3-axis milling machine anyway.

Well, unfortunately, your budget puts you into what I'd consider the "toy" category. Machines like the Openbuilds OX or the X Carve.

Anything that size that's decent will typically start close to $3500. Or a CNC Router Parts kit at about $2700. CRP2448 2' x 4' CNC Router Kit | CNCRouterParts
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It may be hard to get a 24 x 36 cnc at 1000 to 2000$, probabably a 18 x 24 one.

Quote Originally Posted by turntoolpro View Post
    Working size should be in the range of 24 x 36 x 12 (X,Y,Z) or thereabouts. Bigger is better as the projects I'm looking to make are wood plaques in two to three sizes and current largest size is about 14" x 20". I can always go larger with a bigger workable area. I have much experience from being a mfg. engineer processing work and writing CNC programs, from longhand mind you -we didn't have Master Cam when I learned! Nowadays I would not have a problem using software and have seen this one called Mach 3. I'd bet I could do what I need to do with Master Cam though. As far as budget, we all want a good bargain -the cheaper the better - but the old adage 'you get what you pay for' applies here as well. So, taking my friend Troy's advice and build my own machine has taken a hold of my brain and I think that is the best way to go. I just need to learn more on spindles and stepping motors and tables and software and everything else need to get going. I guess my budget would be $1k but less than $2K. I was tossing the idea of an actual CNC Mill like a Mori-Seiki VM40 as I could do more projects cutting metal like I want to do too. After all, a CNC Router is really just a 3-axis milling machine anyway.

like others saying, theres no reasonable option for 2000 dollar..

a 6040 machine in my meaning too small already to creating products for sale..
    a 2x3 feet what I think offer options..

I show two machine I think worth to thinking... others might have other idea..

first is a option, to buying a grizzly mill and converting to cnc.. cost about 2300-2500

Shop Tools and Machinery at Grizzly.com
    retrofit kit
    http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...page/g0704-kit
    there are many other place offering kit..

================================================== ==================

another option for you,
    a mini 5 axis kit you can make small casting patterns likely for jewelry

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...-1500w-spindle
    or milling directly ...

with your background you can toolpathing with autodesk fusion, as indexed 5 axis.. monthly 100 enabling you to use the real 5 axis control..

================================================== =================
    for general work a 2x3 router, with square rails and spindle, that they need for aluminum work

OEM service ball screw transmission mini lathe wood cnc router prices 6090 LXG0609-in Wood Router from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

it comes with ncstudio.. don't be scared by,,, it actually use a large set of fanuc codes.. so will not be new for you..

please note buying from abroad you have likely 1000-1500 import cost..
    free ship means to your state capitol custom port..

im not sure about the actual limit now, but when I purchased it was 2000... means under 2000 it comes to your door, over 2000 it landing in bonded warehouse til you pay custom fee..

================================================== ======

the main point is, if you don't have at this monet the necessary money, don't go with less.. all lover option will backfiring in the first days when you try to do anything..
    so be patient till you have the necessary financial base..

building also will go over 2000..

You mentioned "supplemental income".

The minimum realistic budget is 6000-9000 .. with a proper spindle and toolchanger.
    A toolchanger is totally essential, for actually making money beyond burger-flipping levels.

Cheapest (autochanger capable, ie drawbar) spindles start at about 1500€, landed.
    I have one, and ISO30, good for 8000 rpm (good enough).
    Mine is for cutting metal, but it will do wood just as well.

The cost for making a good biggish metal-cutting router, aka mechmate youself is == 6000-8000$ without the (ATC) spindle.

The cost in parts for a largish mill is approx 30-40k (as I have built one).

You could buy a chicom "toy", to proof designs, and then have them cut by someone else.
    => 20-30$ /hr margin possible.

Cutting stuff with a "toy" => 1-2 $ / hr income, minus running costs.
    Just the nature of the beast.

My CNC router ended up at $1700, not including software, PC, router or dust collector. The bed is 30x40", with 8" Z.
    Despite having machine tools and a welder, I went with aluminum extrusions ($). This way I could use the extrusion itself as my axis rail. I could also have made trucks with bearings or some other sort of wheel on a steel frame, but I figured I could make it more square with the aluminum (vs. my welding skills). It works well for my purposes.

That said, I have a problem with cutter entry and corner divots if I set the acceleration too high. I have not figured out where the problem lies yet.

I'm using LinuxCNC and F-Engrave software (both free). I went with a Gecko G540 driver--I ran into a decent sale at Gecko. If you go with aluminum, use as much plain as you can, as opposed to stuff like 80/20.