586,106 active members*
3,207 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 8 of 11 678910
    Jacqui Take a look to this two videos:http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=MOV00504.flv
    and this other one: http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w...serllavero.flv
    You can try todo that, I can send you the files.
    Luis

Jacqui,
    Thanks, I will try that as soon as I get my power supply back from China.
    Jim

Smile laser machine

Hi Lamicron,

It's so cool on video. It's CO2 laser or not.
    I have some questions.
    1)How many watts for laser power?
    2)Material looks like as ceramic. Yes or No.

Regards,
    Samak

I started an answer and went to upload photos and the post disappeared. Anyway, the video you showed - the laser moves quite differently than mine does. Mine is strictly back and forth like video scans. It is a very simple machine but I am quite pleased with the results so far. I am sure it will get better. I posted a couple of photos in the gallery - the first trial engraving I did was from a large drawing and I reduced it within my laser program which was not the best method - should have reduced it in Illustrator to maintain the line width in scale. The other was a logo I tried out on a piece of koa wood (bad camera angle) and the dark area of the wood is something I will have to watch out for in the future. I also did that design on a piece of acrylic and on glass - haven't photographed them yet but particularly the glass turned out beautiful.

[/IMG]

I thought the URL would take you to the gallery which showed both photos so let's try this

http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showp...7/limit/recent

Not sure at all how this photo posting works but this is the one I did want to show.
    chaos, gsolfot
    Jacqui, Goddess of

The last URL was just the recent photos in all the albums - not what I intended. Perhaps 3rd time will be the charm!

http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showp...0/ppuser/64583

Jacqui, Goddess of Chaos, gsolfot

Quote Originally Posted by lamicron View Post
    Jacqui Take a look to this two videos:http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=MOV00504.flv
    and this other one: http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w...serllavero.flv
    You can try todo that, I can send you the files.
    Luis
    Hi Luis,
    What is the type of your laser machine, is it a chines laser?

Quote Originally Posted by goddessofchaos View Post
    I started an answer and went to upload photos and the post disappeared. Anyway, the video you showed - the laser moves quite differently than mine does. Mine is strictly back and forth like video scans. It is a very simple machine but I am quite pleased with the results so far. I am sure it will get better. I posted a couple of photos in the gallery - the first trial engraving I did was from a large drawing and I reduced it within my laser program which was not the best method - should have reduced it in Illustrator to maintain the line width in scale. The other was a logo I tried out on a piece of koa wood (bad camera angle) and the dark area of the wood is something I will have to watch out for in the future. I also did that design on a piece of acrylic and on glass - haven't photographed them yet but particularly the glass turned out beautiful.

[/IMG]
    Hi Jacqui,
    What is the software that it came with your machine?Your machine is capable of cutting a vectors and curves it depends upon the software setting, you should to open a vector file(DXF or PLT), then select cut not engrave.

Hi All,
    To get a good result in photo engraving here are some steps using CorelDraw and Photoshop I post it in
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...729#post327729

other some steps in cutting half cut spaces(gaps) in
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=41546&page=1

>Hi Jacqui,
    What is the software that it came with your machine?Your machine is capable of cutting a vectors and curves it depends upon the software setting, you should to open a vector file(DXF or PLT), then select cut not engrave.<

My software is called NewlyDraw and it does take DXF files from Illustrator so I will try opening a simple vector file and set the machine on cut to see what happens. I guess I will just have to experiment on speed and power to see what works best. If you have a suggestion (40 W laser to cut 1/8" basswood) I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Jacqui, Goddess of Chaos, gsolfot

Hi Jacqui,

Is your machine has a manual control for the power or is it from the software?
    -Don't use the max power for now just 80% to 90%
    -Try to use min speed with 50% power and see the result then increase the power if the cut was not complete.

I can set the power from the program and monitor it and can increase or decrease it manually on the laser. I Did a number of experiments yestereday and tried out a photo of my granddaughter on wood and on acrylic - not perfect but I'm very pleased with them. I was able to easily adjust the cutting on basswood - and I was smart enough to save the settings in a notebook! Cutting acrylic was a bit more difficult but finally did cut through although I ended up going over the cut 4 times. I still have to figure out just how to coordinate the 3 numbers I can set, but by keeping notes on everything and what happens with it, I am slowly figuring it out.

I posted some photos to share in my Kodak gallery so if anyone wants to take a look at first trials with an HX 3040 Rabbit laser check it out!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...j&x=1&y=hbvk4c

Hi Jacqui, for engraving you don't need to much power, but you will not get faster results cutting. As I have used a few machines with different powers I can tell you this speeds at 90% power:
    Acrylic 2mm 55W coherent laser (USA) 23 mm/sec
    Acrilic 2mm 80W chineese 18 mm/sec / 60W chinesse 11 mm/sec
    In the 55W Usa 10mm thickness 6mm/sec / in chinesse 80w 4mm/sec / in chinesse 60w two passes 2 or 3 mm /sec. All these values for 40W decrease maybe up to 40%
    this speeds for the chinesse lasers willbe able on ly for the twofirst months of operation, after that the power will be lowered a 10% if you are looky maybe get more time.
    Luis

Hey Jacqui, I have finally received my HX1290SE laser (along with the one for my local friend). Both units arrived without a scratch, although the top of my shipping crate was nearly totally ripped off. We each ordered spare lasers, and all 4 units were fine, no cracks etc that we could see. Maybe we got lucky, I dont know, but so far we have been very impressed with the quality of the machines.

Our biggest complaint, is the lack of proper manuals, manuals written that can be understood, and manuals that are the same as the machine. Both of us still cannot, after a full week, get the laser to fire manually when you press the 'laser' button (used to align the mirrors etc). We were able to do it using the software and starting and stopping the machine in test mode. I think that there must be a special process to do this, or else you need to have a special program loaded into the machine for it work like that, but of course there is nothing in the mauals that say that. The manual just says press the button, but it cannot be that simple, as that is a possible safety issue, if someone was to lean on the controls at the wrong time..........

I am still waiting for a solution to this problem from Frank, who is presently in China at the factory.

We are quite happy with the workmanship and so on, it is just the manuals that have us so ticked off.

I have so far been able to get the laser to cut a path as narrow as .015" wide (about 2 sheets of paper thick). I havent had much time yet to really play with it, one of the issues is that I need to get a copy of Corel 12 (on the way), the machine will not work with my Corel X3!!!! These guys really need to get their software up to date, and all their ducks in a row if they expect to sell to the North American market.

I am contemplating taking on a dealership for these units, and becoming a factory trained technician, but time will tell yet, if that happens.

Good luck with yours, I see you have been playing quite a bit with it, I wish I was at the same point, but I had to do much more for installation, venting and so on. I am about ready now though, but I have a few other things in my face as well.

Later,

Pete

Pete, I think these is the first big machine from rabbit, I'm very interested in buying one then I wait for your trials and samples. Meanwhile, what software do you have? I have some manuals, lasercut 5.0 as a patch form corel, and oldlasercut the easier one, If you want post some photos maybe I can help.
    [email protected]
    Luis

Pete ~ I had the same problem with the test and this is the solution. On the 3040 there is an unlabeled button to the left of the ampmeter dial. On my machine it is a light green. First turn the laser switch on, then hold down that green button and hit laser test. Voila! I have rewritten the manual for Frank and I could try to send you a copy. I haven't done the software yet though and that is where I am having problems. Cutting works. Engraving works. Now I need to figure how to do them together from the same set of selections. When I engrave and then try to go back to cut the outside line of a box it changes the lineup position! Very frustrating. Not to mention around 5-6 program freezes this morning! I think Windows knows I hate it and makes me hate it even more! Let me know if I might be able to help with anything. I am experimenting like crazy.
    Jacqui, goddess of chaos, gsolfot

Straight out of the box laser cutter.
    Its Chinesse. Dont understand how it works.
    Can someone help

Quote Originally Posted by goddessofchaos View Post
    The saga continues. I set up my laser and everything worked except there was no laser beam. (So it seemed) Frank took me through a few trouble shooting procedures but then said he would communicate with his tech and get back to me. Meanwhile One of the members here had offered some help and today on the phone Pete Hagan walked me through some electrical tests and explained a few other points that weren't clear. It didn't work right away but that was because I didn't know what I was doing! Nothing at all was wrong with the machine but there were a couple of unlabeled buttons, one of which was important to the beam test, and the other thing was that I had lowered the bed and then raised it again to where it stopped. It had merely hit a tight spot but since I didn't try to go further the bed was set too low . . . of course the laser beam didn't do anything! I wasn't hitting anything! Anyway, I finally was able to test it and made a circle and a word in the software program which I was able to engrave on a piece of basswood. I definitely have much more to figure with the program but I at least understand the basics and the engraving turned out quite well - exactly as I had hoped. When I have something more sophisticated I will share!

Before I try cutting thin wood I think it will be a good idea to get a CO2 extinguisher. I did set a piece of card stock on fire because the power was set too high. No damage.

The Rabbit HX3040 is a well built piece of equipment and now that I have things figured out a bit I am sure I will enjoy using it! Frank has been very responsive as a sales agent and it is my hope that tubes and perhaps a couple of other replacement necessities can be kept in stock in the US to help users avoid long shipping times from China.

On another note I am rewriting the set up instructions in more understandable English and this will hopefully be available to anyone wishing them. Not done yet, but I'm working on it (in my spare time.)

Thanks to everyone on this forum who has posted an experience or answered questions. It has been MOST valuable.

Sounds like the same story here!
    Just got it in. Was wondering if you had any trouble with the laser not being to relocate to its home position(Datum)? What other troubles have you had? Maybe you can walk me though this process. A readable manual would handy with this laser. I'll be waiting.

I am in the same boat. Maybe you can give me a hand on getting this beast up and running.

Page 8 of 11 678910