586,915 active members*
2,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Student wants to know if he killed his machine???

Hybrid View

Student wants to know if he killed his machine???

Hey guys!!

I have posted a couple of threads in other sections before and have been extreamly grateful for all teh help I have received.

I have been trying to get our EMIL/anilam 3000M machine running for myself and all teh fellow students at our school.

I have been learning the ropes and getting some toolpaths into it with some sucess and then the other day.....

the machine started to make some funky high pitch whining/whistling sound when ever I tried to engage/turn on /reste the servos ???

did I kill it and if so how????

do i need to oil it???? lol <========== NOOB as u can Tell

There should be a book with the machine that shows the locations where oils need to be filled, It is a good idea to make some brass tags stamped with number/letter stamps showing what oil goes where, exp. if you have lots of noobs :-)

Check the oils every day before you power on the machine. Many machines have their own hydraulic system and yours may have a problem, check the oils first tho. Some machines sense oil level and generate an alarm, others do not.

Bill

I have been trying to get our EMIL/anilam 3000M machine running for myself and all teh fellow students at our school.
    No, instructor?

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    No, instructor?

Nope .. no instructor... but full support of teh cool teachers... well actually I bought the Mike matterra cd for tool paths and the rest is pick it up as much as I can...It is a complicated story.. we are a design department that aquired a cnc machine...for rapid protoyping.. I think it has taken us a couple of years to get this close to our first "rapid part" hopefully after rthe first one our average time per part should start to drop

http://www.acergroup.com/em-an3a.htm

this is the machine I am using... are any of those problems you guys mentioned be a problem this machine may have.....

I know on my lathe I had to replace the amplifier for the X axis servo. After doing so I had to tune the amplifier to jive with the servo. A whining noise is one of the symptoms of the amplifier being out of tune.

Quote Originally Posted by msomerville View Post
    A whining noise is one of the symptoms of the amplifier being out of tune.
    I'll go along with that, if this has the older DC servo amps with tach feedback, this was/is a common symptom when they go out of tune, with the Westamp type of amps, often because of component value drift etc.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I would check to see if it has a auto oil feeder as this makes a high pitched whine when the oil level is low