586,060 active members*
4,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > hf 9x20, accesories now included just like lathemaster!!!

hf 9x20, accesories now included just like lathemaster!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: picked up my 9x20 locally in philly pa. i open the box and what do i see, back splash guard, drip tray, face plate, #2 and #3 dead centers. #2 live center, steady rest, follow rest, good deal with a 20% coupon, $519, its a shame i spent $70 bucks to rent a uhaul pickup truck to pick it up though :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

You mean 8x14??

actually no, in all the excitement i was thinking the lathemaster 8x14, i didnt expect any accessories with the 9X20

ASAIK, the HF 9x20 has always been packaged with all the goodies. It's the HF 8x12 that comes bare bone, which is still a good buy IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscretePID View Post
    It's the HF 8x12 that comes bare bone, which is still a good buy IMHO.
    Well, I don't know what you mean by bare bone, but the 8x12 does come with a plastic toolbox with the other set of jaws, wrenches, little oil bottle, and dead centers.

Most lathes, especially the larger ones, typically come stock with the following:

chip pan
    back splash guard
    follow rest
    steady rest
    4jaw independent chuck (in addition to the standard 3jaw self centering)
    faceplate

None of these "accessories" are absolutely necessary to start making chips. I think the splash guard and chip pan border on being a requirement, but you can always make your own. Other items like the steady rest and follow rest probably gets tossed aside and never used by most folks, except those who need to turn long slender stock, like gunsmiths.

I like HF's approach of keeping the 8x12 package to a minimum to keep the entry level cost low. You can always buy the stuff you need later.

If you do want those accessories you can get them from Harbor Freight by calling them. They are not listed on the website. I got the back splash, follow rest, steady rest, backplate and 5" 4 jaw chuck for just under $140.00 shipped. Everything was in stock. A couple notes. I had to order the follow rest, steady rest, backplate and splash guard from one department and the chuck came from a different one so two bills, two shipments. Also, the lathe is not drilled or tapped for the back splash guard. The drip pan is not available.

Nothing to do with the lathe, but Home Depot will rent their truck for around $20 for 70 minutes. They generally don't care what you haul with it.