586,089 active members*
3,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 6 of 13 45678
    Busy Bee Has them. I don't remember the size but it's the tool post that takes the 250-101 tool holders. Buy the complete set and then get additional tool holders from ebay companies at a cheaper cost. I have about 12 tool holders and it makes for some great time savings.

John

I got the quick change wedge tool post holder size 6-12" #100AXA, from ebay, fits the lathe perfectly and a lot cheaper then BB.

BTW, the instruction manual tells me that the lead screw of this lathe has a pitch of 3-mm. However, one turn of the lead screw = 3.62mm or .1425" which is close to 7 tpi.

Varmint Al has a really nifty gear calculator on his website,
    you can down load it, just put in the numbers, and you are ably to cut all these oddball threads with the available gears you get with this lathe.
    http://www.varmintal.com/alath.htm

Thanks guy's. I will check into these. How are the ones off E-Bay are the pretty ridged. And also can you get more tool holders from the same guy.

Does anyone know how to remove Varmint Al's gear calculator from the computer. I downloaded it and unzipped it but it does not save the information when i exit the program. I went to Add/Remove files but it does not show up there. When I try to delete it by right clicking it will not let you delete it. Also I was wondering what the final cost was on the quick change tool post off eBay delivered to the door. I plan to order one buy would like to know what the final total is. Thanks guy's ... Fred

Sorry about all my pictures. I changed hosts and i can't seem to edit any of my previous post.

Hey folks. I'm seriously considering upgrading from my Taig lathe to one of these by the end of the year. My Taig is currently setup with a CNC conversion I did on it, and I would want to give this one the same treatment. Does anyone have any thoughts on doing such a conversion? I'm mostly concerned with how much backlash there is to contend with in the stock setup.

Thanks
    Chris

Reducing Backlash

Ok I've played with the lathe enough, now it's time to get serious. Do you have any advice on reducing the backlash - particularly in the leade?

Thanks

Hello, first post here.

Recently picked up a used 10 x 18 craftex Lathe, and it appears to be in good shape, though what do i know, considering i am new to metal working anyways. But i do know that with any equipment, it is a good idea to clean it up and change the oil, so to that end i have read on this thread that one should use hydraulic oil something or other 32 grade, which i have picked up. My question is, how much oil do i put in?, is it to the top of the site glass or to the bottom of the highest internal gear?

As I recall you fill it to just above the glass viewing port with NON DETERGENT gear oil

Quote Originally Posted by Fakename76 View Post
    Hello, first post here.

Recently picked up a used 10 x 18 craftex Lathe, and it appears to be in good shape, though what do i know, considering i am new to metal working anyways. But i do know that with any equipment, it is a good idea to clean it up and change the oil, so to that end i have read on this thread that one should use hydraulic oil something or other 32 grade, which i have picked up. My question is, how much oil do i put in?, is it to the top of the site glass or to the bottom of the highest internal gear?

I use ISO 46 in my 10x18 and it has worked fine with no wear in over 700 hours on the machine. My shop is heated so i run ISO 46 instead of ISO32. Fill it about a 1/2 inch above the site window as it does not seem to force any oil out and the extra gets things splashing around in there real good. You should also get yourself some flat magnets from Canadian tire and place a couple in the gear box to help trap any filings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakename76 View Post
    Hello, first post here.

Thanks for the information, and that magnet idea is a great one.

Couple questions for you happy owners.

Does this unit have a power cross slide?
    Whats it like to do the finer threads with at 115rpm?
    Anyone connect a VFD to this lathe?

BB has a sale right now $988 with $98 shipping.
    By the time I get the extras, a 4 jaw, face plate, and some
    extra tooling, I'm still looking at $1600 after tax/shipping.

TIA,
    Chris

little help guys. i picked up one of these lathes the other day. got a deal but im missing part of the gearing.

im missing the shaft/spindle under this gear. could some one take a picture and a few measurements so i can turn one.

thanks

also in regards to the spindle with the red arrow, is that one gear or two gears with a spacer

There are two gears spaced apart by a spacer. The gears and spacer ride on a bushing with a key. The bushing rides on the shaft you are missing.

Has anyone made or bought a dro for this model yet? Any pics you want to share?

Quick and dirty drawing: http://cid-4a947c0fd105ba34.skydrive...ER%20SHAFT.pdf

Didnt model or dimension the lube hole. That oil port you see is for lubing the bushing. As long as you make sure to lube the shaft/bushing you should be ok. Also didnt dimension the fillets as the text function in my Inventor doesnt seem to work. Im guestimating its .25x45 degrees TYP. (4).

thanks a bunch. not sure you got the right shaft thow. how would the shaft in your drawing atach to the cast swing arm?

T-nut.

thats very much, in my haste i didnt see it was threaded :rainfro:

ill need to install a half key to sink the two gears together? im guessing yes

Page 6 of 13 45678