586,103 active members*
3,482 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Seperate pc of drive from cadcam pc??

I am building a cnc router and am trying to decide if i want the controlling pc to be just a purpose built in controller pannel like real cnc machines have, where the gcode is uploaded and run from.

This way all background processes can be switched off and just mach 3 run to ensure clean no missed steps output.

However this means I would essentially program the part on a pc then have to transfer the code to a second pc (machine controller) to then run the software, which seems cumbersome, not to mention the extra expense of a second pc.

Are missed steps a problem with a pc driving stepper motors whilst running a cadcam program at the same time? Bearing in mind most people have the cadcam programs running all the time to make many tweeks etc, and it would be irritating to shut down the cadcam software each and every time I ran the router.

Does anyone have any ideas about the pros and cons of each method when using mach 3.

Thanks
    Dom

Dom
    I have always found it easier to do my drawing at a desk, then tranfer the files to a controller (Mach computer). I have cad/cam setup on the Mach computer in the shop to make small changes and have never had a problem running them together.
    mike