586,110 active members*
3,336 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Project Ideas and Plans

Hello All,

I'm fairly new to the machining realm, and I'd like to find a few projects to take me from having wet feet to 6ft under water (preferably in small steps ). I'm a senior engineering student @ the Colorado School of Mines, and have taken one machining course. I was hoping for suggestions and/or plans for projects to help me gain some experience. Here are my resources:

Taig (just now cnc) mill
    small (4") rotary table (no 3 or 4 jaw chuck for it though)

South Bend 10k lathe with:
    a 3 and 4 jaw chuck
    taper attachment
    milling attachment (which I have no idea how to use properly)
    left/right hand 1/4" bit tool holders, cut-off holder, boring bar holder
    Plenty of change gears

I purchased my lathe ~2-3 years ago and my mill a year ago, I've done a lot of small, basic work, like making t-nuts, and would like to do more. But now that I have the capability to actually MAKE something I have no idea where to begin. I was hoping for suggestions and/or plans for anything from super simple engines or tools to improve my little hobby shop and my skill level. I also have access to my college's machine shop, which has larger lathes, mills, and more tooling.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

123 blocks are a great first project as it teaches you the limits of a mill. Start off with some steel blocks bandsaw them as close to 1"X2"x3", then mill them and if ya have access to a surface grinder(my favorite tool makes everything pretty) use that to finish them. And here check these links out
    http://www.americanmachinetools.com/...ng_machine.htm
    How to use a Milling Machine

http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/cutting_tools_lathe.html#4
    Lathe Cutters

May the cutting force be with you......

Hey,

I just realized this was the wrong forum to post a question like this in. I will move it to the general machining forum, so please do not reply here. Sorry for the trouble.

Nick,