586,609 active members*
3,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Anyone using THK SR30's and have then mounted vertically for x or z axis?

Anyone using THK SR30's and have then mounted vertically for x or z axis?

THK specifies that the best use is a horizontal mount, but im wondering if they will work for my x axis.

Is this a bad idea?

Do you mean the rail verticly or are you talking about the bearing orintion I'v been studing this stuff for a plasma and a lathe retro I'v taken ones off of other machines that where mounted everywich way I gues doing more reading on the manufactures spec's is the best bet and looking at store bought equipment Gool luck Kevin

the SR30s are recommended to be mounted flat/horizontally. The HSRs can be mounted in any orientation.

Id like to mount them so that the bearing blocks are at a 90 degree angle with respect to the ground, and the rail ends will be horizontal with respect to the ground. This is for the x gantry axis (at least i thin the terminology is x axis)

Yes I have done it with zero problems. SR30s are such overkill for most applications that you'll probably experience the same.

Take a look at the THK support site: https://tech.thk.com/ There are two buttons in the center of the page that say "click here". Click on the top one.

It says for the SR30 blocks, the dynamic load rating (in kilo-newtons) is
    30kN (radial),
    18.6kN (reverse radial), and
    16.8kN (side).

In comparison, an HSR30 block has 28-28-28 dynamic load ratings... the same for every direction.

16.8kN = 3776 lbs. I think you'd agree that even that is overkill for anything short of a large commercial router or full sized VMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Zumba View Post
    Yes I have done it with zero problems. SR30s are such overkill for most applications that you'll probably experience the same.

Take a look at the THK support site: https://tech.thk.com/ There are two buttons in the center of the page that say "click here". Click on the top one.

It says for the SR30 blocks, the dynamic load rating (in kilo-newtons) is
    30kN (radial),
    18.6kN (reverse radial), and
    16.8kN (side).

In comparison, an HSR30 block has 28-28-28 dynamic load ratings... the same for every direction.

16.8kN = 3776 lbs. I think you'd agree that even that is overkill for anything short of a large commercial router or full sized VMC.
    Thanks for the info... geez, looks like i could get away with sr15's. sr20.
    Looks like one axis is going to be mutant-sized.
    Also, thanks for reminding me of the old conversion from physics... 2.2*16800/(9.8)