586,112 active members*
3,028 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Confused by tool libraries

Confused by tool libraries

I'm finding the tool library really confusing and could use some help. The Sprut user forum is down so I'm here seeking assistance.

I'm using SprutCAM Expert 4, build 1.28 for a Tormach mill with a collection of their holders and would really like to create a library with the holders and cutters that will be commonly used.

The help suggests that an entry in the library can be changed by selecting it, entering the new data in the dialog box fields and then clicking on "Change" (presumably the "Replace" button I see in my version). However no matter which row of the library I've selected, it is always the first entry that is changed. Is it possible to change other cutter rows?

Is there a better way to create a library? I see that the there is a way to save a library, but how does one load it back in?

Mike

Hi Mike, I don't use the tool library myself, but I think that they may have broken it in the latest build (1.28).......
    I would wait until the next build (new version?) is available and hopefully it will be fixed.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks - do you just manually enter the cutter info into the tool dialog box from the parameters tab for the different machining operations each time you start a new project?

Mike

Dave,

I forgot to mention this - it looks like the tool lib files are just ASCII text files so it may be possible to just manually edit those. Have you ever tried that approach?

Mike

They are just text files and can be edited with Notepad or other windows text editor. It's probably worth making a backup copy first in case anything goes wrong. I created a seperate file for my Tormach tools by copying the inch tool library, renaming it and then deleting and altering the fields I wanted.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Dave,

I forgot to mention this - it looks like the tool lib files are just ASCII text files so it may be possible to just manually edit those. Have you ever tried that approach?

Mike

Mike, as Andrew says, they are just text files. I did experiment with using an access database to modify the tool library, but if I remember correctly it was a bit of struggle to get everything talking to each other correctly and I eventually gave up.......

If you are using several machines that have dedicated tools assigned to them, then the tool database(s) can be useful.............I find that there is so little information required for each tool that by the time I've found it in the database it is just as quick to manually enter it.

Dave

Andrew and Dave,

Thanks for the additional info. I just have one CNC mill and am learning CAM and CNC on it, so may be looking to use features that aren't necessary in practice. The feedback helps puts things in focus.

Mike

Mike,

All I do is to click on the type of tool(ball or end mill) and its diam. change the tool number to match the number for that tool in the tormach tool table.

Seems to work well for me...

David

David,

That's pretty much what I'm doing right now. There are more important concepts for me to focus on now, but it might be nice to have a tool library available for my standard tools in future so I'll probably be looking into that later.

BTW, it looks like the library has entries for speed, feed, material, and durability - do these have a purpose elsewhere in the program or are they just placeholders for future enhancements?

Mike