586,546 active members*
3,356 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

metal engraving with a 400 watt co2?

im looking at the mini 400 watt gas assist metal cutting laser from kern...it seems its exactly what im looking for in a machine that i can use to cut many different materials as well as cut thin .5mm steel as well.

it works in both vector (cutting mode) as well as raster (engraving mode)

I already have several lasers so im familiar with engrave mode, what im wondering is, can high powered gas assist lasers perform a deep engraving in metal or are they only useful in cutting? i would like to have the ability to engrave at least to some depth with whatever laser i decide to purchase...i know for metal engraving, fiber lasers are generally the choice but i was wondering , if there are any metals as all, that can be raster engraved with a co2 gas assist laser? i would like to make simple embossing dies and im wondering if i could potentially engrave these on this laser as opposed to milling them like i am currently doing.

Thanks

Re: metal engraving with a 400 watt co2?

Quote Originally Posted by manakawari View Post
    can high powered gas assist lasers perform a deep engraving in metal
    No. Use Fiber marker.
    Even 150W glass laser is usless for engraving.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

thanks yes, im told by many sources that a fiber or yag is better for metal but I just cant get a straight answer...I want the ability to both cut various metals up to 2 mm as well as engrave in these metals.

Iv contacted many laser suppliers in china and im told that the best machine for this is a 500 watt yag laser cutter, it does beautiful high detailed cutting in various metals of various thickness but im told it cannot engrave(raster mode) ..I find this odd..there are galvo fiber lasers for engraving but they are not good at cutting,, is there no one machine that can do both??

I don't understand why I cant use the 500 watt yag laser to engrave, even if it doesn't have a raster mode, can I not just use vector mode in a lower power to mark details on the metal and then up the power to cut the shape out?? I really want a laser that can both cut and engrave so I can use it to make embossing dies but I have yet to find that machine , does it even exist?

Can you find 15t truck that will park in your garage?
    Can you find 300km/h sport car that will go off road?
    So what is so difficult to understand?
    Everything has it`s own purpose.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

Have the vendor make a test cut in all materials before you buy the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by manakawari View Post
    thanks yes, im told by many sources that a fiber or yag is better for metal but I just cant get a straight answer...I want the ability to both cut various metals up to 2 mm as well as engrave in these metals.

Iv contacted many laser suppliers in china and im told that the best machine for this is a 500 watt yag laser cutter, it does beautiful high detailed cutting in various metals of various thickness but im told it cannot engrave(raster mode) ..I find this odd..there are galvo fiber lasers for engraving but they are not good at cutting,, is there no one machine that can do both??

I don't understand why I cant use the 500 watt yag laser to engrave, even if it doesn't have a raster mode, can I not just use vector mode in a lower power to mark details on the metal and then up the power to cut the shape out?? I really want a laser that can both cut and engrave so I can use it to make embossing dies but I have yet to find that machine , does it even exist?

Hey man dont bother yourself on that,if the fiber laser up to 500 watt ,that means the laser beams is extremely big and strong enough to burnt the materials on the surface in no matter what condition it is.You can image the 500watt laser machine for cutting metals as a canon and the 30 watt or 50 watt laser machine for engraving metals as a short gun,if a danger man is just right standing 5 meters in fronts of you,what are you gonna do,shoot him with the shortgun or a stupid dump canon...

By the way, if you are look for a cutting machine or engraving machine, I myself and my company can help you
    Damon Qiue from DAPENGLaser
    +86-137-903-422-59 [email protected] Skype: Damon Qiue www.dapenglaser.com

Hello,

Co2 Laser is used to cut or engrave non-metal materials, like wood, leather, paper, acrylic and so on.

Fiber laser and Yag laser is used to cut metal.

With help of O2, the Co2 laser can cut metal, but the cutting edge is not as good as fiber or Yag.

ok then what do you suggest , I need a machine that is ideal for cutting thin sheet metal, (steel, aluminum, copper, brass ect) with extremely fine detail for jewelry applications...I spoke to golden laser and they suggested a yag laser GJMSJG-6040 ..this does not engrave and im not sure this is the best laser for very fine detail for jewelry...what do you suggest?? if the machine can engrave as well that would be even better..the machine also must be small, I do not have a lot of space. im ready to buy right now!!!