586,075 active members*
4,173 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Redsail X900 100 W laser - need a suggestion...

Hello
    I recently started getting into Laser engraving, I went out and bought a Redsail x900 off ebay. Picked it up almost 2 weeks ago and have been using it ever since
    the problem is the power....
    i live in Canada, so our outlets run in 110w, where as in china they have 220. I instructed them of this before purchase and they said it was no problem, they would send a converter for me (the water chiller usually feeds off the main machine and the converter spits it off.
    This brings me to the issue....
    The power of this laser is very low, at 90% power (and 5 speed) it will not cut through cardboard. I have ensured my alignment is 100%, i have played with the focal length raising and lowering the platform looking for a "Sweet spot" and no go. I have also tested directly from the laser tube
    fired a pulse and it only marks the cardboard.

So this being the case.. I need a suggestion of what the issue could be.
    Im leaning towards a bad tube, even though the tube was tested (advised by the seller) it just does not seem to be doing the job. I have checked it for cracks and nothing appears to be out of sort.
    But the only other thing i could think being a problem is the conversion to 110, but i do not think this would be the case... as if it was the issue and the power was cut in half, at 90% power that would leave me at 45 watts, more then enough to cut through cardboard (again at 5 speed if I increase it to 90 speed it only marks it like a pencil.

Any help someone could give me I would really appreciate it

Re: Redsail X900 100 W laser - need a suggestion...

Quote Originally Posted by dwagar View Post
    Hello
    I recently started getting into Laser engraving, I went out and bought a Redsail x900 off ebay. Picked it up almost 2 weeks ago and have been using it ever since
    the problem is the power....
    i live in Canada, so our outlets run in 110w, where as in china they have 220. I instructed them of this before purchase and they said it was no problem, they would send a converter for me (the water chiller usually feeds off the main machine and the converter spits it off.
    This brings me to the issue....
    The power of this laser is very low, at 90% power (and 5 speed) it will not cut through cardboard. I have ensured my alignment is 100%, i have played with the focal length raising and lowering the platform looking for a "Sweet spot" and no go. I have also tested directly from the laser tube
    fired a pulse and it only marks the cardboard.

So this being the case.. I need a suggestion of what the issue could be.
    Im leaning towards a bad tube, even though the tube was tested (advised by the seller) it just does not seem to be doing the job. I have checked it for cracks and nothing appears to be out of sort.
    But the only other thing i could think being a problem is the conversion to 110, but i do not think this would be the case... as if it was the issue and the power was cut in half, at 90% power that would leave me at 45 watts, more then enough to cut through cardboard (again at 5 speed if I increase it to 90 speed it only marks it like a pencil.

Any help someone could give me I would really appreciate it
    Hi I had the same problem with mine in the uk when I turned the power one and power setting two to the same power it worked worth a try
    Willie

Hi Dwagar
    I had the same problem when I got mine delivered to the uk,Try turning the power on the settings for one and two to the same it worked for me mines would not cut until I set one up as high as setting two,worth a try
    Willie

Hi Dwagar,
    1. when did you find the problems? the machine worked well before?
    2. the water chiller is 220V, you can't run it in 110V directly.
    3. if the alignment is no problem, please a dot on cardboard at 1st mirror position. (please set the power is 30%) and post the picture here.
    by the way, can you tell me the power of your laser?