586,071 active members*
4,096 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Axis combinations in machine definition - horizontal and vertical

Axis combinations in machine definition - horizontal and vertical

Hi

after a lot of reading, head scratching and editing, I have made an edited Fanuc 4axis post work with an Phillips control on an MAHO 800C. Made new canned drill cycles for the control, and deleted a ton of Fanuc code. Made a dovetail fixture and milled the first test part yesterday, using G58 as vertical machining on the top of the part, and G59 for the indexing in horizontal milling. the machine can change between the two configurations with an M code.

I used an old vertical post to program the top side of the part, as the post changes XYZ to XZY for vertical milling, and had to rotate the part 180 degrees to get it right when I was milling horizontal with the new post.

the question is if it is possible to create an axis combination where I switch XYZ to XZY and rotate the coordinate system in the machine configuration, so I can do all this work with one post and Mastercam file?

If so I would like an input how to do so?

I have been thinking on how to do this for a week now, and I am hoping someone can help me a bit with this.

Cheers, Daniel

Re: Axis combinations in machine definition - horizontal and vertical

Dan,

Yes you can do that. simply create a new machine group and change your axis configuration there, you'll need to also change your construction plane as well as tool plane and WCS to your XZY there. You will need a good understanding of WCS and how to change views of course but it's a simple operation to do this

Moussa Sleiman
    CAD/CAM Instructor
    vtpros.net
    630-995-5112

It seems to work.

Still puts out two nc files, but I can live with that. Can Mastercam merge the files, or do I need to merge it manually?

Cheers, Daniel

that's correct, you just merge them manually. make sure they both work separately first of course.