586,103 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand Club House > Help setting up Mach3 Doughty Drive 5 axis (will pay all costs)

Help setting up Mach3 Doughty Drive 5 axis (will pay all costs)

Hi guys as the description says i need help with a DIY Doughty Drive 5 axis machine built from the plan.
    Im located in Albury NSW would be happy to fly somebody in if need be and pay an hourly rate just to get this thing to run, its become a matter of principle now ive dropped a lot of cash and id like to see it run.
    Its already built but the person i had working for me couldnt get it to cut accurately (long story) i have RhinoCam premium but thats not the problem the problem is my lack of knowledge with Mach 3 and all its wonders, im used to a MDX 540 with srp player (my 6 year old could work it)
    Cheers
    Adrian

Re: Help setting up Mach3 Doughty Drive 5 axis (will pay all costs)

Which plan did you use to build this machine? What's the problem you're noticing with your cuts? When you say it's not accurate, how far off is it? Why do you think Mach3 is at fault? Have you had the Mecsoft people configure a custom post for your machine?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Hi mate Mecsoft consider what you say as "spoon feeding" i paid 21500 and would like to swap for mad cam as madcam did spoon feed a tool path and video explaining how to do it. (yep not happy with mecsoft)
    The cuts where not meeting in the middle then when it was manipulated to suit they would meet but one side was higher than the other.
    The plans where the standard dougherty drive supplied plans
    And definately not blaming anybody but my own stupidity but now the machine wont run at all (guy who worked for me was stood down as i couldnt keep paying wages for no result it was 3 months trying to get it to wok cut after cut after cut all failed)
    Below is part of mecsofts reponse when the hard word was put on them keep in mind i paid $21500au
    What is clear to us, is that you do not have the background and experience required to understand all this which identifies a need for training. With respect, it may be foolhardy to attract attention to your lack of knowledge and experience on a user forum. Training is not part of support, but can be organised separately by mutual arrangement. You say that you are not a cyber-bully, yet you have come out threatening bad press on the forums. The forums are full of people sounding off about things they know little about, demonstrating their ignorance. We also have access to the same forums. It would be in our interest to expertly respond to undue criticism. In doing so, it would not be our intention to make you appear foolish, though no matter how carefully we structure our response in order to avoid that, we cannot control how forum members will see it.

We have offered you the common workaround, without spoon-feeding you fully completed files from which you would learn little.

You may also be interested to know that Mecsofts development team is currently looking at additional methods of controlling toolpaths on mesh models, but results won’t be forthcoming for some weeks while the team is primarily involved with the releases of the 2016 product updates.

If you can find a buyer then we have no means prevent you from doing so, but Mecsoft will not recognise a new owner if an upgrade is ever requested.

There is a difference between referring to a lack of understanding as being ignorant of what is involved, than from calling you ignorant.

We do not have your complaint with any other customer, so maintain our position and attitude with the full backing of Mecsoft USA.

If you wish to direct a complaint to the principals of the company I can arrange for the contact details to be sent to you.

From the above i have no doubt mecsoft will beat there chest but i only bring it up when you say get mecsoft to make a process, Mecsoft cant help for now i just want the thing to run plus i did tell them i had madcam working so stick it ( i lied i was so annoyed)
    Im in the process of ordering a Thermwood model 67 i should have bought one in the first place
    cheers
    adrian

Sorry i got a little side tracked when you said get mecsoft to help haha
    the machine now wont run at all when i launch the mach3 its not talking to the machine, it was working last week i was working on the homing limits i got x y z to do exactly what they are supposed to do but left the bc drive for another day (prior to this the machine would go home and try and kill it self terrible noises)
    But over the weekend i turned it on and nothing the numbers go up and down but the machine doesnt move plus the screen now looks different, to be honest Mach3 is where im having problems (not mach3 fault but my fault) with the information i have from madcam i was certain it would be a matter of getting the machine working load up g code and off i go,
    I think mecsoft are correct im ignorant of the subject and ive tried and tried but its a bloody mine field Mach3 one wrong press and its curtains.
    Might wack this one down as the price of tuition the thermwood might be 200k but it can be remotely accessed if any problems arise and with the spoon feed i have from madcam creating tool paths will be easy Cam represents a very very small part of the business i just need it simplified, so far ive never needed a cnc ive done it all by hand but thought id enter the high tech world probably shouldnt have went with the diy option

5-axis milling is not the easiest thing in the world to master, and you have my sympathy for your frustration with it. I didn't read what you wrote to Mecsoft, but it sounds like you must have antagonized them, since they are usually more polite (or this is coming from their Australian distributor and not Mecsoft itself?) If you sent them the kinematics of your machine, with accurate measurements point-to-point (from the centers of all those pivot points) they should have been able to configure a post-processor that would allow it to work correctly.

Getting some training would probably help you understand the tech support you've been getting, but if you ask nicely, they will probably try to explain it in simpler terms. If you've been having problems with the distributor, perhaps staying up late and calling Mecsoft headquarters in California would be worthwhile. I've always had good luck with them; even when I've exposed my ignorance of certain technical issues, I've found their tech support team to be very patient. See if you can arrange a session where they take over your computer and show you how they would configure your toolpaths, using your model.

If the problem is in your Mach3 settings, that's outside their responsibility, though, and would happen no matter which software you chose. When you say that "the cuts are not meeting in the middle", that could be an error in the steps per unit settings - have you checked to see the axes are all moving to the correct angles when commanded to? Some work with a protractor could save you a lot of grief here - not to mention a boatload of money...
    Andrew Werby
    Website

As for these latest issues (which you posted as I was typing my reply) it sounds like a re-installation of Mach3 is in order (remember to save your XML files and reload them in the new installation). You might also be having problems with the computer you're running it on. "Terrible noises" are usually due to the motors being out of tune; once you're back up and running, you can spend some time in the motor tuning dialogue, turning down the velocity and acceleration until the motors sound good. Building your own machine is not the easiest way to go, but once you've nursed it through a series of problems like this, you'll be an expert, and know how to fix it better than anyone.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Hi James Madcam have responded with the tool paths for both 3+2 and full simultaneous they also took the time out to video the process, they have done this with just one short email could you please check it out there is a zip file plus a link to “we transfer” (i will send separate) id be interested in your feedback as it supports stl files with ease and im hoping you guys could either add these processes or show me them if you already have them.

Cheers
    Adrian
    this is the initial email sent to mecsoft cheers for the help but i think the 5 axis can be a shed ornament and a reminder not to takle what you dont understand. Next time buy a boat and go fishing haha just anothe diy cnc hitting the scrap yard

please not guys i only bought mecsoft into this when it was mentioned to get them to help, i did try with only long winded emails saying they couldnt (as you can imagine we arent friends anymore as words and emails can be construed in different ways perception is reality in the eyes of the customer) my problem is me and mach3 madcam can do what i need but i need a machine that works first (again on me)
    My reason for posting was to pay somebody to fix i noted it wasnt a rhinocam issue although may have been initially we will never know, ive got money but not time
    may be my first posts but ive been watching this forum for years never joined as i obviously couldnt add value and ive seen the way mecsoft belt people up on the forums they are ruthless thats why i never blamed them it doesnt get anybody anywhere i just need feet on the ground.
    Cheers
    Adrian

I know im replying to my own posts (being a pest) but as mecsoft have been bought into it i may as well show what antagonizing email i sent (not having a go at awerby i appreciate you took the time to reply) but this what i sent, keep in mind this is a 5 axis processing stl scans not 3 axis solids this ones a bit different to other users so if you are planning to process stls then use madcam
    Hi James, no worries but a couple of things to keep in mind when we speak.

Paul is now unemployed as there is no work for him.

Rhinocam by your own admission cant process stls without either third party software or a level of expertise that is reserved for companies like Boing or Nasa.

Madcam do have the ability to not only process stls with ease but there customer service can take the time to develop a training video and tool path AT NO COST

I have supplied RhinoCam the oppositions strong point which if used properly would be in the hands of your developers building a platform to take on an ever growing industry being reverse engineering using scan data, you guys have the magic pill now.

So in saying all that only 1 of 2 things will appease me.

1 Refund for the amount to buy MadCam or i can on sell and add another frustration prompting me to make sure no body else gets stung (believe me educating is the last thing i want to do people can learn the hard way like i did)

2 develop the process and send me the same information Madcam sent ie video and tool path etc

Number 2 is the golden ticket, number 2 would cement RhinoCam in my brain as the goto solution, but please please dont do what you have done in the past and make it my problem for choosing making coments like but you made it clear that you knew what you were looking at and were able to make your own assessment. put it back on me and all s$%t will break loose just do the right thing accept the opposition has an edge and use that edge to your advantage and take into consideration the processing of stls was always the solution we are after thats why ive spent so much on artec and faro scanners.

Talk soon

Adrian

4x4 Concepts

Managing Director

Hi Tim ive ccd you in

FYI James. Tim has been fantastic to deal with and even his own admission he wasnt familiar with 5 Axis head head rotating spindle machines as there arent to many in Australia using third party software they use there own licenced versions

after this it went south he just couldnt accept madcam had the one up in this case and constantly blamed me $21500 for 2 discs and a dongle (dropped on front door step no signature required) id expect to be a bit more of a priority.
    mecsoft aint for me but im not saying its not for everybody but make sure you are absolutely fluent in cam knowledge before you take it on otherwise go madcam simple easy and awesome customer service for them to send a 5minute video of my model being made into both 5 axis simultaneous and index including tool path and i hadnt even bought the product is incredible customer service.
    All out no more replying to my own post and dont worry abouth the 5 axis i have i will be getting a 67 that way if i have machine problems i wont have to bore you guys i will make it thermwoods problem they can fix remotely and if i have cam issues well madcam will help

Hi is there any chance this post could be deleted it got a bit out of hand my end and id rather it gone and forgotton
    cheers
    Forums can get a bit out of hand and id like you guys to get on with making cool stuff not reading the rants of somebody with little understanding haha

Quote Originally Posted by kodie100 View Post
    Hi guys as the description says i need help with a DIY Doughty Drive 5 axis machine built from the plan.
    Im located in Albury NSW would be happy to fly somebody in if need be and pay an hourly rate just to get this thing to run, its become a matter of principle now ive dropped a lot of cash and id like to see it run.
    Its already built but the person i had working for me couldnt get it to cut accurately (long story) i have RhinoCam premium but thats not the problem the problem is my lack of knowledge with Mach 3 and all its wonders, im used to a MDX 540 with srp player (my 6 year old could work it)
    Cheers
    Adrian
    Hi Adrian I live in central victoria I may be able to help with mach3 And also C67 thee wood 0418 180085 Trevor

Hi Adrian. We support Linuxcnc, so if you're willing to change then you can contact me here, and we can see what we can do.

www.cadcam-machining.com.au

Stephen

My question is what were you intending to produce with this machine that's a lot of cash invested.

cheers for the reply i believe we have it sorted i will update when complete

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Stephen cheers for the reply i believe we have it sorted but i will be keeping you in mind

Hi Guys i believe we may have it sorted Colin doughty has offered to hijack the pc while i have a skype cam over the top, but before that the machine needs some TLC i will keep you guys upto date as it goes.
    First problem is the lead screws are binding at full speed The screws where machined in a pissy little lathe (contrary to my recommendation) so im getting new ones machined up this time the bearing ends wont be out of round, there could have been some steps missed as it tightened but i will let you know, the problem is operator/builder issue all the way i spent some time on Artsofts tutorials and got the machine back up and running set the home limits etc its like people have said once you understand Mach 3 it gets easy so ill keep chipping away although still havent nutted out the B/C drive but one thing at a time
    If this doesnt help it could be that it has a 48v switching power supply that may need to be upgraded to a 56v then we will look at piffing the ethernet motion controller for uc100 and dumb the machine down to old school so ive got some mucking around to do but if i make all these modifications Colin can step in and sort it and i have confidence he will get it sorted and hopefully the next post is a vid of the machine working
    Cheers
    Adrian

Hi mate yep your right ive put near 100k inc wages to build, the machine will be used to trim plastic and produce molds for a vacuum former ive been dreaming of it for over 4 years now and it was one of those things i just had to get out of the system. The business is already established but all the trimmings done manually and takes up too much time.

Vac molding we used to do a lot of that ,hence the 5th axis.

Hi guys just an update the machine is fixed and working.
    New lead screws and a better understanding of mach3 along with colin doughtys assistance problem has been solved
    cheers for the replies and posts
    Adrian

thought id put a vid up of it working
    note the spindle cable did cut through and blow the VFD $450 lazy mistake, but the drive has allowance to route cable
    also the vids where for colins reference the first is a finish pass with a 10mm flat for proof of concept the rest are random
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr4o5KGQtfs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Ux00EUUHs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8v6...?v=ZxUlaeGG8pc
    I had ZERO experience at Christmas and this is the result, it can be done just takes time.

Hi Guys just another update.
    Mecsoft USA have fixed every problem ive had to date via email, im saying this because previously ive posted dialogue that probably wasnt a true reflection of the company just an altercation with a distributor.
    Any one with a Doughty Drive Mach3 and rhinocam needs help feel free to drop me a message ive got the post processor and xml files for mach3 not sure if the xmls will help but they are there if needed
    Ive also got a Thermwood 5 axis model 90 same deal with that but im running NCGCAM 3+2 and Rhinocam for the full simultaneous package we purchased prior to NCGCAM
    Cheers