586,094 active members*
3,758 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Almost new VF-2 with TR160 questions...

Question Almost new VF-2 with TR160 questions...

Hello everyone,

We got in a 2013 VF-2 with a TR-160 and I have some questions...

1) Where is a good place to mount the tool probe? I have the riser plate from Haas, just would like to know a good spot to place it where it will be out of danger, but will still be accessible to touch off tools.

2) Is it generally safe, (obvious exceptions excluded), to do tool changes with the left side of the trunnion centered under the tool changer arm so the tools swing around the trunnion? I only ask because when I send Y to the front and X all the way to the right, the tools will be swinging right over the top of the left end of the trunnion.

3) What is considered proper for setting the work offsets? Typically when I do 4-axis machining with our HA5CB, I set Y0 and Z0 at the center of rotation. Is this true for X, Y, and Z in the 5-axis configuration? If so, how do you set them using the part probe?

4) When doing 3+2 work, is it generally appropriate to use 1 work offset for the part, or 1 work offset per side?

Lots of questions, I know. I do have a fair amount of 3 and 4-axis time under my belt. This is just my first foray into a 5-axis mill.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Mike

Re: Almost new VF-2 with TR160 questions...

Hey Gizmo,

For 3+1 and 3+2 machining with your trunion look into G254 dynamic work offset. Cool stuff! You only need to program from 1 fixture offset and the machine knows where it is and calculate from where it is for each different positioning.

#2 if you have the optional 2nd home position button, you can get machine to a predetermined safe position for tool change in MDI mode. For running the program. IIRC, there is a setting to move table away at EVERY tool change.
    #3&34
    usually one offset, usually center of rotations. Not sure if newer VF mill have DFO like previous poster mentioned (?)

I ran almost the exact same setup, just a VF2SS instead of VF2. Keep the rapids low - I always ran at 50% or less because it wouldn't repeat in x and y if I ran it at 100%.

1: we mounted it on the far end away from the tool changer, closest to machine x0.y0. it could go.

2. I basically set the center of the tool arm right above and to the left of the left trunnion support. I had some long tools so it was always close. You can set up another work offset to be this location(I think I used G59 X0. Y0.) or if you use one work offset, just find a location and set that.

3. I set G54 at the center of rotations, indicate A and B in, use the probe to set X-Y zero then swing it +/-90 degrees(I don't recall if it went -90 degrees, I used the probe) to find the center on Z based on the Y differential. Ours was pretty much exactly .130" IIRC.

3a. In your CAM software, set up G54 machine zero in the same spot every time, set up your fixtures and parts in real space based on that position. I machined my fixtures on the trunnion as accurately as I could/needed and it worked out great.

I didn't know anything about G254, might be something worth looking into.

Jon