Hello everyone,

We got in a 2013 VF-2 with a TR-160 and I have some questions...

1) Where is a good place to mount the tool probe? I have the riser plate from Haas, just would like to know a good spot to place it where it will be out of danger, but will still be accessible to touch off tools.

2) Is it generally safe, (obvious exceptions excluded), to do tool changes with the left side of the trunnion centered under the tool changer arm so the tools swing around the trunnion? I only ask because when I send Y to the front and X all the way to the right, the tools will be swinging right over the top of the left end of the trunnion.

3) What is considered proper for setting the work offsets? Typically when I do 4-axis machining with our HA5CB, I set Y0 and Z0 at the center of rotation. Is this true for X, Y, and Z in the 5-axis configuration? If so, how do you set them using the part probe?

4) When doing 3+2 work, is it generally appropriate to use 1 work offset for the part, or 1 work offset per side?

Lots of questions, I know. I do have a fair amount of 3 and 4-axis time under my belt. This is just my first foray into a 5-axis mill.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Mike