586,032 active members*
2,941 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > DX32 questions (Bridgeport Torq Cut 22, DX-32, DX 32)

DX32 questions (Bridgeport Torq Cut 22, DX-32, DX 32)

I have a 1995 Bridgeport Torq Cut 22 and have a couple of questions about the DX32 control.

1st question: Since this is a PC based control and is vulnerable to typical PC problems what will I possibly need in the future if it gets all fouled up like a typical PC might. I am not very DOS literate, yet (I might be forced to learn), but assume that DOS is the operating system software as Windows would be today, then there is Bridgeport software that runs the machine? Anyway, the machine came with no backup software. What do I need to be prepared for reinstalling the software and where might I get it? Here is what the screen says when I start the machine up:

AMIBIOS Configuration (c) 1985-1992, American Megatrends Inc.

Main Processor : 486DX or 487SX
    Numeric Processor : Present
    Floppy Drive A : 1.44MB, 3 1/2
    Floppy Drive B : None
    Display Type : VGA/PGA/EGA
    AMIBIOS Date : 11/11/92

Base Memory Size : 640KB
    Ext Memory Size : 3328KB
    Hard Disc C: Type : 47
    Hard Disc D: Type : None
    Serial Port(s) : 3F8, 2F8
    Parallel Ports : 378

128 Cache Memory
    Starting MS-Dos

Once the machine is done loading the software and the main screen is displayed this is what it says at the top of the screen:

BOSS BPC-MC V4.79.22/6.89.57
    Copyright (c) 1988-1999 Bridgeport Machines Inc.

2nd question: Is there a way to put notes such as a program header and tool descriptions in a program like you can do on a Yasnac or Fanuc control by surrounding text with brackets ()?

Thanks, Mike.
    [email protected]

YES YOU CAN PUT COMMENTS IN SINGLE QUOTATION MARKS, IF I REMEMBER CORECTLY.

Find a book, DOS for DUMMIES. It is better to be educated than not.
    Find a set of DOS 6.20 disks.Once you the book, you can make a boot disk to use with them.
    That is the highest version of the Brridgeport software.
    Your hard drive will fail, eventually. Be prepared.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Once you the book, you can make a boot disk to use with them.
    I'm assuming you meant "once you read the book...". Anyway I'm a little confused. You say DOS 6.2 is the highest version of the Bridgeport software? Isn't DOS the operating system? Won't I then need whatever software is loaded to run the machine? I believe it might be a version of software called "BOSS"? Looks like I can find DOS 6.2 on eBay, actually I'm seeing 6.22 also, would that work? Thanks for the tip on the single quotes around text in the part programs, I'll give that a try. If I indeed need the Bridgeport software (BOSS?) as well as DOS, anyone know where I can get it? Thanks, Mike. [email protected]

I also own a TC22 with the DX 32, I'll do the same as you pretty soon. It's been a year that I have it with no problem up to now but I'm preparing for the worse all the time :P

BOSS BPC-MC V4.79.22/6.89.57 is the latest software from BPT if I,m right and you'll be okay to use it for 3D jobs with it. Not as smooth as the newest machines but work good for occasional 3D uses.

The DOS 6.2 is what you will use to get into the computer and launch different applications than the BPCMC that lauch by itself at startup.

So you're saying I have the latest version of BOSS on my machine? That's good, I guess, but won't I need backup/installation software if and when I have a problem? I guess what I'm asking is "HOW DO I GET MY HANDS ON THE BOSS SOFTWARE" so I can reinstall when needed. And as far as DOS 6.2, it looks like I can easily get that on eBay. Is 6.22 OK to use? Thanks, Mike.

Excluding the G-code programs stored in the control. I am pretty sure you could do a DOS Copy C:\*.* A:\*.* to move everything that exists on the hard drive. If that is too much for 1 disk, do it in sections. I do not think you need a system disk for this, but it does make it nice to boot and reload the HD. On a clean HD with DOS 6.2 or 6.22, I have just copied everything from the backup disks to the HD.

If you do store programs on the control, it is a good idea to dump them to disk periodically and store them on longer term media(CD) rather than another HD or Floppy.

DC

Some of the DX32 systems will run on DOS 6.22 whereas some will only run on DOS 6.2.

We unknowingly upgraded our version 5 "Extrak" (circa 1996 software) to DOS 6.22 and it ran fine. I recall seeing somewhere that only 6.2 should be used. Either we're lucky or it doesn't matter that much... We subsequently upgraded to version 7 of the Extrak program and it seems to run on 6.22 just fine.

Regarding a system backup:

Look on your hard drive to see if you have program called "MAKEDISK.BAT".

If you do, you're in luck - All you need to do is take a "system disk" (see DOS manual on how to create one) and install it in the A:\ drive.

Then run MAKEDISK.BAT. This batch file will automatically create a backup disk for you - Of course, this assumes that your current system if FULLY functional and working properly.

I dont know if you figured this out already but to put notes in the program you need an end of block semi colin ; then type whatever you want as notes on that same line after the semi colin...

ex:

G0X0Y0Z.1 ; (start location)

not like this

G0X0Y0Z.1 (start location)

i still use parenthasis just out of preference but only after the semicolin.

without the semi colin your machine will read notes as program and do random strange things like rapid accross your part.

Actually someone informed me I could put comments in single quotes and that seems to be working fine for me. Like this:
    T1 M6
    '.500 E/M X NO RADS'

Thanks, Mike.

in program messages.....

mlbz420 is right about problems from internal messages after the G-code. We have'nt had tools cutting wherever they want but, if you use a colon by mistake instead of the semiclon you will get an alarm messsage. Also if you mistype an "O" for a 0 in a x,y,or Z position it will give you fits if you dont know what to look for. Also we find it best to place the semi-colon right after the last character in a line then add spaces if you wish to extend your man readables out into open space where they are easier to read. for ex.

G0G55G90X0Y0Z1.00; ......... !!!!! (L.H. VICE) !!!!!
    ;not
    G0G58G90X0Y0Z1.00 ...... !!!! ;(R.H. VICE) !!!!
    (PARENTHESIS ARE NOT REQUIRED) BUT they do help you remember to use the ;semi-colon . the extra spaces between the Z1.00 and the ;(R.H.Vice) has caused us random troubles. One time no problems , later everything stops and just hangs there with no alarms ,errors or anything.
    Always check for : and O mistakes first when you cant' figure out why it wont run at all. When you forget to put the ; you will many times get An error msg for an unusable M code or something similiar. keeps things interesting don't it ..........edspert.

Actually someone informed me I could put comments in single quotes
    interesting, i have never tried that. doese that display them on the screen while in run mode?

I have a lathe with a fagor control and it displays the last note read in the program on the screen until another one comes along then it replaces it. i have always been curious if the dx-32 could do this. it would be handy to have a message display as a reminder say after an M01.

If I remember correctly, typing 'format a:/s' from the command prompt will format a floppy and copy enough files to make it bootable. It wont include any of the extra's nor the ability to reinstall a full copy of DOS.
    Dom
    http://www.ukrobotics.com/projects

Re: DX32 questions (Bridgeport Torq Cut 22, DX-32, DX 32)

Quote Originally Posted by NC Cams View Post
    Some of the DX32 systems will run on DOS 6.22 whereas some will only run on DOS 6.2.

We unknowingly upgraded our version 5 "Extrak" (circa 1996 software) to DOS 6.22 and it ran fine. I recall seeing somewhere that only 6.2 should be used. Either we're lucky or it doesn't matter that much... We subsequently upgraded to version 7 of the Extrak program and it seems to run on 6.22 just fine.

Regarding a system backup:

Look on your hard drive to see if you have program called "MAKEDISK.BAT".

If you do, you're in luck - All you need to do is take a "system disk" (see DOS manual on how to create one) and install it in the A:\ drive.

Then run MAKEDISK.BAT. This batch file will automatically create a backup disk for you - Of course, this assumes that your current system if FULLY functional and working properly.

Hello. I need a BOSS DX32 for may old bridgeport Apollo Series 2 can you send me this software by email? my floppy disk are damaged and this machine y without HDD , i can install one if necesary.

Thanks for Helpme
    Leandro From Argentina

Re: DX32 questions (Bridgeport Torq Cut 22, DX-32, DX 32)

You can purchase a pre-loaded replacement drive with the latest release from EMI (Electro-Mechanical Integrators, Inc.) Electro-Mechanical Integrators Not sure of the cost. Mine was upgraded years ago. It was a few hundred dollars if I recall and included the drive.