586,656 active members*
3,455 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > looking for best value for aluminmun extrustion in the gta canada

looking for best value for aluminmun extrustion in the gta canada

Hello
    looking for some large 3"x3" extrustion ( new straight) 12' lenghts in the gta looking for thick wall..material for large cnc 6'x12' cnc

Any one deal with local supplier

Re: looking for best value for aluminmun extrustion in the gta canada

Try searching Google for Aluminun Extrusions!

As for GTA, no idea what that means.

As for Canadian companies the only one that we have worked with lately is ATS and I don't think they have what you need.

Now given that I should point out a few things. If you want a 6 X 12 working area you will need beams longer than 12 feet. 6x12 is a very large machine and frankly what you intend to build with it impacts design. My suggestion it to seriously look into steel! For one thing steel is easy to come by, it also has a significant impact on costs. The big concern here is the 6 foot span which is nothing to sneeze at. For routing type usage you will want that beam to be very stiff. Finding an aluminum extrusion sutablynsized won't be easy, they are made though and worst are very expensive. Even a light duty router will likely need a 6" square extrusion to span that space.

Frankly unless you have a very good reason you don't want to build a machine this large and make it light duty.

He means Greater Toronto Area.

If you are using the extrusions to build a router, give George at XZero Routers a call. He has 80mm square extrusions that they use to mount their liear rails to, and it's specifically designed for the job. I think XZero will sell you some of the extrusion, if I understand correctly. XZero is in the GTA, so he's local.

There are a couple of places in the GTA that sell 80/20 extrusions - go the the US website and check the Canadian distributors page. When I bought some a few years ago, the one in Mississauga had the best pricing, but the differences are a few percent, nothing huge. Calling or emailing them will get you quotes.

also checkout the 8020 close outs on ebay. Some real deals there if you are flexible with your dimensions or willing to take some slightly used pieces .
    The very long gantry will be an issue however as Wizard points out. Look at Dave Malicky's excellent design calcuations and discussion in http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...cad-posts.html that he has posted. Mine is set up for 51" working width and the gantry is a 6" steel tube 1/4" thick with diagonal braces welded in http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ght=mbronkalla , MUCH more rigid than 3x3" extrusions.

Quote Originally Posted by DSpeck View Post
    He means Greater Toronto Area.
    That makes good sense now!
    If you are using the extrusions to build a router, give George at XZero Routers a call. He has 80mm square extrusions that they use to mount their liear rails to, and it's specifically designed for the job. I think XZero will sell you some of the extrusion, if I understand correctly. XZero is in the GTA, so he's local.

There are a couple of places in the GTA that sell 80/20 extrusions - go the the US website and check the Canadian distributors page. When I bought some a few years ago, the one in Mississauga had the best pricing, but the differences are a few percent, nothing huge. Calling or emailing them will get you quotes.
    He might also try international companies like Bosch. THey should have a listing of distributors.

Quote Originally Posted by mbronkalla View Post
    also checkout the 8020 close outs on ebay. Some real deals there if you are flexible with your dimensions or willing to take some slightly used pieces .
    The very long gantry will be an issue however as Wizard points out. Look at Dave Malicky's excellent design calcuations and discussion in http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...cad-posts.html that he has posted. Mine is set up for 51" working width and the gantry is a 6" steel tube 1/4" thick with diagonal braces welded in http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ght=mbronkalla , MUCH more rigid than 3x3" extrusions.
    My big concern is the large span, 3" of anything is a little thin for such a large span. Considering this I hope this builder will reconsider the beam size.

8020 will ship to Canada, however the lengths you require will probably be $$$$. Using 8020 for the bed and frame of the machine is doable but will require considerable bracing to reduce sags and twists. Unfortunately 3"x3" is not a stock size.

If the design must use extrusions I would suggest a 40 series like 40-4080 for the frame and 40-4080 with a steel backer the entire length of the gantry. And even with the addition of the steel backbone the gantry may still exhibit considerable twisting. I think at the end of the day you may discover that an all steel frame and gantry will be more cost effective even with the cost of welding.

The extrusion is for the y axis (12') only which have 5 vertical steel 3x3 legs with 1/2 top steel plate spanning the connecting top posts,
    so the extrusion can be mounted easily to the steel legs.

The X axis (6 ') gantry will 4"x10" 1/4" wall steel tubing, flexing will not be a issue with the gantry.

The main reason for the extrusion to keep the weigh down ( no heavy forklifts required for moving), The unit is design to be easy bolted together or dissembled
    ( the home for this cnc is only temporary.)

The extrusion rail t slots will make align and squaring and tramming the cnc a lot easy over 12 feet of table.

Thanks for all the replies