586,072 active members*
4,390 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > SC will not cooperate and use hole to plunge

SC will not cooperate and use hole to plunge

I am using SC hole machining function to create a hole for for a Z-axis plunge passage, but SC will not utilize the new hole in roughing waterline function.
    The hole is .406 dia blind hole in the workpiece field and the endmill is .375 dia. Is there anyway to direct SC to use this hole for plunge?

Re: SC will not cooperate and use hole to plunge

Sorry for my confusion, but are you doing hole machining and then waterline? Or are you trying to get the waterline operation to machine the hole?

The first op is Hole Machining to creates a hole. The second op is Rough Waterline to shell out the interior of a workpiece. I want the tool path in Rough Waterline to use the hole created in Hole Machining to prevent plunging the cutting directly into the stock.

SprutCam is once again my friend and everything works fine, for some unknown reason.
    I don't know why, I spent hours last night on it and SC kept misbehaving.
    I think this is unrelated, but I did notice V10 defaults to allow plunges in Lead-in Lead-out section, which I prefer not.
    Thanks...uman

Was going to say if your using any of the 3d ops like water line it will find and use the hole for all plunge paths. 2d operations its up to you to control path. You do need a hole bigger then the end mill to be used in pocket operation. One key thing that helps so much using sprutcam in general is selecting the root tormach icon in list and press the reset button then run to generate paths in order. Sometimes if I fail to do this sprut does not see results from previous operation correctly and I get all kinds of errors or problems like collisions on operations I know are set correctly.

also I believe there is an option to define a hole in the automatic ops, just scroll and select the whole or draw one and and have it select same place that you drilled it, I believe that used to work other versions

on another note, I can not seem to get any kind of lead in leadout when doing HSM :/ it just ignores my setting

Quote Originally Posted by drutort View Post
    on another note, I can not seem to get any kind of lead in leadout when doing HSM :/ it just ignores my setting
    I get some crazy results with HSM paths sometimes and also noticed about 25% of those compiles result in errors when loading into PP that makes my PP version unstable to use, even before any code is ever run. I am very careful with those operations these days "what can I say I had a bad experience"