586,361 active members*
3,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Pitch balls screw

Hello everybody !
    I just bought a VM 17 that need a full restoration state.
    I have to change the balls screws and I have difficulty finding in France 4 pitch ball screw (6.35mm per revolution )but it is easy for me to find metric pitch 4.233 (6.00 mm per revolution).
    Do you think it will be possible to modified parameters in Centurion 6 program for a proper use ?

As this machine will not be reconnected before several months, I can not check now.
    Thanks for help !

Re: Pitch balls screw

Hi Lauchu, Yes it is possible to use say a 10mm ballscrew. newer Milltronics machine use a 10mm.
    Are you replacing just one screw or all 3 axis? Mixing different pitches in the axis can be problematic. especially in X and Y, may have problmes cutting circles.
    it is possible to get ballscrews repaired/ reloaded. unless it is total junk. have you explored that option?

If you are needed one, I may have one available. PM me the machine S/N and which axis you need.

Sportybob

Sportybob ,

I have to replace the screws on the 3 axis
    I think they have too much backlash for repair , 0.004 " on x/y and 0.006" on z
    If I understand well , I can change parameters in centurion program for using screws with 6 mm lead
    I agree with you about mixing different pitches

thank you for your offer and your answer

Hi Lauchu, A couple things think about, rebuilding is about 1/2 the cost of new. they should be able to reload .004 - .006 and get it right. It also depends on the condition of the screw and inside the nut.
    Check the nut dimensions closely, some of these ballscrews had a "smaller" then usual diameter and mounting bolt pattern, standard sizes might not fit.

What is the serial # of the machine? I will check on ball screw pricing here in the US.

direct email is ; [email protected]

about me, go here, www.electromechtechservices.com

Bob M

Bob,

How would you go about adjusting the lead screw pitch on a Cen 6 control?
    Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick, The control does not "adjust" the pitch of the screw.

sportybob

Bob,
    I know the control does not adjust the pitch of the screw. I am asking how to change the pitch of the screw in the control. For example, if you currently have 6 mm pitch ballscrews and replace them with 10 mm pitch ballscrews, what parameter do you have to adjust to make the machine run correctly?

Anybody know?

The control has parameters that are set to determine the "pulses per unit", it's under Main-Parms-Setup-Axis according to my manual. I know if/when I ever get my forth axis all rigged up you have to determine the number of pulses per 360º.

The PPU's are a calculation of several factors, the encoder PPR, the motor/ball screw pulley ratio and the pitch of the screw. and a couple other things. I will not go into the exact formula so as to keep people from playing where they should not.be playing. There are reasons that they were set at the factory. Changing them will not help your machine be any bigger, badder, or stronger, on the contrary.
    running different PPU's in different axis will not be a confounding experience for you.
    If you have a reason to play with these then please PM me and we will talk.

sportybob