586,077 active members*
3,599 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mesa card not detected by PP

I received the PathPilot upgrade for my Tormach 1100 last week.
    Included CD: version 1.9.3

Software installs fine. However, it looks like the Mesa card may have issues. When it's time to update Mesa firmware, says it can't detect the card.
    Thought I'd see if anyone knows of a solution for this (like a jumper change). While I'm waiting on reply from Tormach.

Here is current status:

I installed the PathPilot software using the CD provided.
    When I start the machine, PathPilot says it can't find the Mesa card.
    Upon turning on the controller, I can see two Mesa LEDs light up. So the card is getting power.
    The Mesa card is the PCI Express version.
    Jumpers unaltered. I assume I received a properly jumpered card.

Re: Mesa card not detected by PP

Quote Originally Posted by zardozwildman View Post
    I received the PathPilot upgrade for my Tormach 1100 last week.
    Included CD: version 1.9.3

Software installs fine. However, it looks like the Mesa card may have issues. When it's time to update Mesa firmware, says it can't detect the card.
    Thought I'd see if anyone knows of a solution for this (like a jumper change). While I'm waiting on reply from Tormach.

Here is current status:

I installed the PathPilot software using the CD provided.
    When I start the machine, PathPilot says it can't find the Mesa card.
    Upon turning on the controller, I can see two Mesa LEDs light up. So the card is getting power.
    The Mesa card is the PCI Express version.
    Jumpers unaltered. I assume I received a properly jumpered card.
    Do the LEDs turn on briefly and then turn off?

Mesa,

Yes. I believe two LEDS are on briefly at startup. Then stay off until shutdown. One LED is labelled Init, the other Done. The two other User LEDS seem to remain off.
    Also think the lights turn on briefly when the OS begins a shutdown. Or if I hold power button to force a shutdown.

I did manage to find a jumper diagram, and jumpers were set same as shown on diagram. However, I don't know if that is a valid config for the Tormach.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zardozwildman View Post
    Mesa,

Yes. I believe two LEDS are on briefly at startup. Then stay off until shutdown. One LED is labelled Init, the other Done. The two other User LEDS seem to remain off.
    Also think the lights turn on briefly when the OS begins a shutdown. Or if I hold power button to force a shutdown.

I did manage to find a jumper diagram, and jumpers were set same as shown on diagram. However, I don't know if that is a valid config for the Tormach.

Thanks
    OK red LEDS on and off at startup is a good sign since it means the FPGA loaded its config successfully

The jumper settings cannot cause the card to not be visible so It may be possibly be a dirty slot/card edge finger issue (can you try another slot?)
    or some incompatibility with the motherboard. We have occasionally seen incompatibilities with some motherboards, these are often fixed by a BIOS update

Is this a Tormach controller? if not, what motherboard is it?

Mesa,

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing from your handle that you are affiliated with Mesa?
    Tag on card reads: Mesa Electronics, 6I25-ROHS, Lot# 14267L1

My setup is a Tormach 1100, along with a Tormach controller.
    Purchased a few years ago. When they were sold with Windows Embedded installed.
    Motherboard is an Intel DH61DL. BIOS version 0112. BIOS has never been updated.
    But latest BIOS version 0120 is available.
    May wait on a BIOS update until I hear back from Tormach.

ALSO: I'm not sure if you're familiar with Linux lspci. But I used that via different Linux live CDs.
    None of them list the installed Mesa card. Which makes me suspect hardware issues.
    I've never seen lspci fail to list installed PCI cards.
    Does lspci typically list Mesa cards on a properly working machine?

Yes, lspci should find a 2718:5125 vendid:devid, DPIO card

It should also find the TI XIO2001 bridge, 104C:8240 vendid:devid

When I first cranked up my lathe, I had this problem too.For me the fix was to power down. Unplug and reseat the Mesa card. Then it was all good. Mine had apparently loosened up during shipment. That is free to try, so you might try that if you haven't already.
    Lee

Mesa,

I've tried reseating the card a few more times. But lspci does not list the card.
    At this point, I think it's safe to assume a Mesa or motherboard issue.
    I'm assuming it's not the motherboard, because the controller has been fine for several years.
    I haven't checked the rails on the power supply to verify adequate output, but if things don't improve. I'll be sure to check.
    Intel has newer BIOS revs, so that may address the issue.

I've called and emailed Tormach, but no replies yet.
    If I don't hear from them soon, I'll try the BIOS update. Along with other testing.

Thanks

Update:

The Mesa card doesn't seem to be the problem. More detail below.

I've done additional testing with the Mesa card on the Tormach controller. No success. Never listed via lspci.
    Tormach emailed me some recommended BIOS settings. However, those had already been attempted. No success.

Fortunately, I have other PCs available. I did some testing on another computer. Used a Linux live CD.
    Power up and shutdown LEDs work similar to the Tormach motherboard. And lspci lists the Mesa device, so that was successful!
    I'm guessing the Mesa card is working fine.

The bad news is that it's probably a Tormach controller issue. I tried updating to a newer BIOS version, but the machine faults and reboots.
    I also discovered that the BIOS rev (112) is not listed on the Intel website.

I have some more spare parts at home, so I'll have to swap out components to determine the real problem with this Tormach controller.
    I'm hoping I can upgrade the BIOS, but the machine refuses to do so.
    My latest guess: motherboard and/or power management issues
    If I determine the real source of the problem, I'll post an update.

Thanks

Update:

I used spare components to determine the source of the problems, caused by the motherboard.
    I decided not to reuse any of the remaining components of the Tormach controller. And built a new PC.
    PathPilot is installed on the new machine, and seems to be working fine. Will be testing more this weekend.

I know that Tormach recommends motherboards with H61 and H81 chipsets. However, I decided not to follow their recommendation.
    These are older chipsets, and it can be difficult to retrofit a newer Haswell CPU to them.
    Instead, I'm using an H97-based motherboard.

Here's the hardware I'm using:
    CPU: Intel Pentium G3260
    Motherboard: MSI H97M-E35
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix, 1 stick, 4GB
    Case/Power: DiabloTek tower with 400W power supply

I also used an external USB DVD drive. So I can unplug it when not needed.
    This board has 4 USB 3.0 connectors, compared to 2 on older motherboards.
    Tormach mentioned that if you have issues with USB devices, to install a PCI-based USB 3.0 card.
    If I have USB issues, I'll probably buy one. Tormach doesn't use such cards on their newer controllers.
    So I'm guessing it won't be necessary.