586,068 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z axis homing bracket (3D printed)

Just wanted to post my solution to have a z-axis prox sensor mounted for homing the Z-Axis (I found that if I didn't retract it high enough during homing, it could hit the gantry brackets, and didn't want to do it manually).

So I went into Fusion360 and designed myself a nice little bracket that mounts on the back side of the Z-Axis carriage, using existing 6 mm holes. It spans three of the holes and rises high enough to cantilever a proximity switch over the top of the Z-axis top plate. I had it 3D printed at Shapeways.com in "Black, Strong and Flexible", basically laser sintered nylon.

Came out perfect and works like a charm! Here the pictures:

Re: Z axis homing bracket (3D printed)

Awesome job! That looks fantastic. Would you mind posting your drawing file for us? I'd love to have one of these so that I can have soft limits on my Z to keep it from raising to high. That is excellent work sir.

Zak

Nice design and execution... I'm still new to the CNC scene (just recently finished building a PRO4848). Can you explain the advantage of having the z axis proximity sensor? I thought the Z axis is normally zeroed at the work height... typically by a touch plate. I'm trying to get my head wrapped around what this sensor does. Is it to prevent the Z axis from raising too high?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Right. It's an upper limit switch. Very nice add on.
    Are you going to change the homing routine to move Z first? On mine when I home it now, Z is automatically set at home regardless of position. Just have to be aware of the Z position before I home it.

My mill homes Z first, the Y, then X.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Right. It's an upper limit switch. Very nice add on.
    Are you going to change the homing routine to move Z first? On mine when I home it now, Z is automatically set at home regardless of position. Just have to be aware of the Z position before I home it.

My mill homes Z first, the Y, then X.
    yes, that's exactly what I did. Like I said, I found out the hard way right after finishing my build that if you leave the Z axis down and try to home, it will hit the gantry plate when homing Y!

That's when I conceived this bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by ZamcoLaser View Post
    Awesome job! That looks fantastic. Would you mind posting your drawing file for us? I'd love to have one of these so that I can have soft limits on my Z to keep it from raising to high. That is excellent work sir.

Zak
    I can do better Zak, I can make it available for you to purchase on Shapeways.com. It's about $48, I won't put a markup on it.

But... do you want to use the same prox sensor? I can give you a link, but i think I need to mod it first, it was ALMOST too tall, and should be shortened by about 1/2 inch (12 mm).

Let me know, or if you want a different length sensor and I can adjust it.

Also, assuming you have the 8" Z and not the 12" one?