586,655 active members*
1,923 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Kurt Vise Issues

Hello, I am posting in regards to an issue I am having with my CNC in keeping both vices linear to one another when holding a larger item (Larger parts require to remove the center pod). With the center pods pulled from each vice, it allows them to float freely; it seems one side is floating further than the other, and I am finding about a .010" taper off the back of my work-piece. Does anyone have any quick tips to control this? I feel silly asking I'm sure there is something I am doing wrong here. Any help is appreciated.
    "The one who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd..."
    -Albert E.

Re: Kurt Vise Issues

Are you talking about a double vise? If you are, my experience with Kurt 4" double vises is that the center bolted pod(?) is the stationary part and the outer movable jaws cannot be locked down so you will get it moving under load.
    If you're not talking about a double vise what's a "pod"?

My apologies on the description yes I am using a double vise with a center fixed "pod". I have 2 sets of double vises and was curious if I can maintain a good zero while having a part through both (without the center "pod"). Seeing as the center "pod" is used as a zero for the double vise, is it possible to remove this and keep accuracy while using both sets of vices? I hope this explained it a little better, don't hesitate to ask if something was ill described.
    -Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Cshade30 View Post
    My apologies on the description yes I am using a double vise with a center fixed "pod". I have 2 sets of double vises and was curious if I can maintain a good zero while having a part through both (without the center "pod"). Seeing as the center "pod" is used as a zero for the double vise, is it possible to remove this and keep accuracy while using both sets of vices? I hope this explained it a little better, don't hesitate to ask if something was ill described.

in a word, no. two floating jaws need a solid piont.

Thanks you guys much appreciated!
    -Albert E.

On our Kurt HD6 double vices, we can lock the back moving jaw to a plate that is bolted to the back of the vice body. I made these special back plates out of aluminum and anodized them. if you look at the Kurt website i think they show these plates
    VF2, VF5, ST10, MINIMILL, MINIMILL2,