586,094 active members*
4,099 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.

With your coolant manifold design, I take it you are not planning using a tool changer?
    I just changed out the plastic in front doors to 12 gauge steel, powder coated and (2) 1/4 inch pieces of laminated glass. Also some changes to tips on coolant lines to find a flow that moves chips along without a lot of splash.
    So far I like the plastic base on table with the side panels to trap most chips for an easier clean out. Next, some type of chip trap over outside coolant tank so I can remove screen from chip trap at bottom of machine floor. Looking for easier way to clear chips out from machine base.
    Dennis
    Attachment 313084

Attachment 313086

Dennis
    Re: "Looking for easier way to clear chips out from machine base"

Search for Tormach Streamliner my give you a different approach, not sure how compatible it would be with enclosure but has worked well on my 1100.

Greg

It would take some time and might not be worth it, but I don't think you can get a better tray and coolant tank design than what Novakon has now. The underside of the mill is open. Right below that is about a 3" deep chip tray strainer basket.
    It drains through another screen into the coolant tank.
    There are two pumps in the tank.
    The second one is only used to wash down the chips.
    Takes 2 to 5 minutes at the end of the day to clean out all the chips from the vises, table slots, enclosure walls and the chip tray.
    The next day you start out with a clean and dry mill. It doesn't get much better than that.
    Lee

If you look at picture of the front of my mill you will notice a white switch box, lower left. This is to control second pump just for wash out. My plan is to have large enough pan above the coolant tank to catch them outside machine when I wash it down. Something to catch about 5 gal of chips. I have seen several different ways to do this, now just to make time to make something that works for me.
    I do not plan on reinventing the wheel so any other links to how others have done this is appreciated.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by 84scrambler View Post
    ... I printed them out on a rapid prototyper ....
    What kind do you have, or is it a hombrew?

You are making some pretty cool stuff with it.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Tmarks11, I must have missed your question so I apologize for the delay. The printer I'm using is a Dimension 1200es from Stratasys, it's designed for commercial use so its not really something most home hobbyist would have or want to afford.

Its an extremely reliable and consistent printer, the only issue I really have is parts lifting from the table and that happens probably 1 in every 50 parts and its usually my fault because I try and use the "disposable" printing platforms way past there life span.

If I ever figure out how to post photos, I'll offer my less than elegant, very cheap, and quite effective solution to flooding, coolant and chip containment, and best of all, very easy clean up. It's almost self cleaning! One of the fringe benefits, perhaps the only one, of getting old and being retired, is that we're of necessity forced to do cheap and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jttoner View Post
    If I ever figure out how to post photos, I'll offer my less than elegant, very cheap, and quite effective solution to flooding, coolant and chip containment, and best of all, very easy clean up. It's almost self cleaning! One of the fringe benefits, perhaps the only one, of getting old and being retired, is that we're of necessity forced to do cheap and easy.
    John,

Using the reply button,click it then click "Go advanced"
    this brings up a header with a paperclip on it, click the "Paperclip" button, this brings up a window that says choose file, choose the file or picture you want to upload and click "Upload"
    Then click on the paperclip down arrow beside it, this will list your file, select it and click OK.

I would love to see what you have done, if its easier for you just email them to me, love to have a look and I can post them for you if you like!!
    It wont post a large file, has to be about 600 x 800 or similar size.

I have a self containment for the chips as well, keeps them all on the table for easy cleanup, I also have a spindle shield mounted on a drawer slide on the head, to keep the chips contained around the spindle/cutter.
    mike sr

Mike, thanks. I'll take some photos and give it a try this weekend.

Mike, thanks. I'll take some photos and give it a try this weekend.
    Yes i would love to see your set up. I'm on a tight budget as well LOL I'm not retired but married with kids and 15 plus year old cars and older house, and EVERYTHING is breaking at once LOL

This is what I have come up with so far, kind of a work in progress though. I use the bottom enclosure for tool storage as space is limited here.

I did clean it up and painted the frame for pics ha!

The coolant/oil is directed back to the sump from the table via Tygon tube.
    Backsplash keeps the chips on the table.
    Shield is mounted on a drawer slide for up/down, counter balance is from ebay, less than 10 bucks, 6 # pull, the shield will stay in any position.
    The back shield is a piece of gasket material with a PVC tube header to hold it up and straight, mounted with magnets, so if the head hits it, it can pop loose and not damage anything.

I am also retired, and like working on the machine and so called improvements ha!

Anxiously awaiting your pics John! I am a big fan of do it yourself projects......... and always looking for new ideas.

This setup works for 90% of my parts and keeps the mess on the table..........and it was cheap as well.
    mike sr

That is an interesting design for a splash guard. Which eBay vendor supplied the counterbalance? Where is the upper end of the light support attached? I bought two 20-watt LED lights that look identical to yours. Unfortunately, one died a few months after installation. What has been your experience? If better than mine who was the supplier?

Sorry for so many questions but I like to benefit from the experience of others!

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    That is an interesting design for a splash guard. Which eBay vendor supplied the counterbalance? Where is the upper end of the light support attached? I bought two 20-watt LED lights that look identical to yours. Unfortunately, one died a few months after installation. What has been your experience? If better than mine who was the supplier?

Sorry for so many questions but I like to benefit from the experience of others!
    I will go back thru my purchases on ebay and see if I can find it and let you know, this is dependent on the weight of your finished shield.

The lights are 10 watt versions, and its kind of a crapshoot as to what you get. These have been going for a year or so.
    The lights are connected to 1/2" pvc, that goes up to the ceiling in the garage, they are mounted in holes in a 2x4 screwed to the ceiling.

The shield works well for most machining, I have a 2.5" face mill that can throw chips out the top of it though.

Balancer, I couldnt find on ebay, here is a link, Amazon .com has them 15 20 dollars.

Amazon.com: spring balancer
    mike sr

Mike, yesterday I took a few shots of my somewhat Mickey Mouse setup. This a.m. my stepson will help me shoot a short video to demonstrate the cleanup. I've alread been able to get the photos from my phone to my computer's email. My system is less that elegant but simple, effective, and cheap.

Mike, yesterday I took a few shots of my somewhat Mickey Mouse setup. This a.m. my stepson will help me shoot a short video to demonstrate the cleanup. I've alread been able to get the photos from my phone to my computer's email. My system is less that elegant but simple, effective, and cheap.
    I am looking forward to seeing the pics and video! I am always interested in what someone else is doing, kind of like not having to reinvent the wheel etc. and their idea may be much better than yours...
    I am making Golf Tee game wood blocks for the church, they can use 1000 of them, that will keep me busy for awhile ha! Now I need a dust collector etc.
    mike sr

Got 3 photos ready to post but one was upside down, another was sideways. I couldn't send the video from my phone to my computer because of a 20 meg maximum. So, I'm getting there but not yet ready for prime time.

Looks like it should do the trick John! Pictures are always good ......

Did you change the coolant pump for a larger one? Mine doesnt have much pressure for a washdown configuration.
    mike sr

Attachment 315466
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160403_181829 rightside up.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	315468

I turned them for ya

Its been a while since I updated this thread. I ended up breaking my rapid prototyped coolant manifold. That ABS just doesn't hold up when it is that thin. I printed another one but decided on skipping the install and just started machining an aluminum one. I attached a few pictures of the partially finished bracket. The thing ended up being a bigger pain to machine then I anticipated, it caused me to make a fixture plate and have twice as many operations to get it done then I originally planned. Tonight I am going to finish machining the second arm (pics to come with it installed). Still have to tap the first arm and machine out the holes for the magnets but I should be able to get it all done in a couple hours. I have since picked up a 3/4" shear hog and I have to say it is awesome, and I mean awesome!! I'm comfortably removing material with a 1/4" deep cut, .300 stepover, 5100rpm, and 15ipm. I can push the ipm harder but this seems to be producing a really nice size chip and it doesn't sound like I'm pushing the machine to hard. I end up finishing everything with my 1/2" 2 flute endmill.

Also, I ended up picking up a pair of Kurt CNC vises. My previous Kurt was giving me lots of problems with part lift (it was a badly abused vise that I received second hand) so I had the opportunity to upgrade and so now I have a nice new shiny pair of Kurts sitting on my table. I'm also experimenting with some aluminum t-slot cover plates that I cut out on the EDM. I sprayed the crap out of the bottom with WD-40 to keep the rust at bay but still plan on popping them off after each job. On my buddies Table he ended up drilling out the drain holes in the back of the table and he said it helped tremendously with cleaning the table. Mine clogs up pretty bad so I that might be a next step for me as well but I will have to see how well these covers work first.

The next upgrade on my list is the coolant tank, going to up the size to about 20 gallons. Also in parallel I'm working on an idea on how to modify the stand so that I can get an 80/20 enclosure around the perimeter of the stand and not have any interference issues with the vises. I hopefully will have these next two mods squared away by next week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3831.JPG   IMG_3832.JPG   IMG_3830.JPG  

That's awesome! ! :banana:

Page 2 of 3 123