587,033 active members*
3,405 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Basic Questions

Hello,

I am studying this product using the evaluation download, and I have a few basic questions about concepts that are escaping me.

I like the whole approach of entering stock and then doing operations on it. But what exact sequence of steps should I go through to put rough stock in and square it up? Every thing I've tried results in either no toolpath being generated, or some other unexpected result.

I tried creating a wireform by drawing a closed curve and then extruding it. Then, I couldn't figure out how to use one tool on one surface (flat end mill on the top), and a different tool on a different surface (ball end for a contour on the top). Does each surface have to be created as a separate entity?

And once something is modeled like that, how does it relate to the stock you've created? Does the stock have to be modeled larger than the model in order to machine the top of it?

Does the horsepower have to be entered at each operation, or is there some place in the machine setup where a default could be entered? Some of the toolpaths that get generated for aluminum by default would probably stall my machine! Where can I tone this down to make it generate light cuts by default? I've looked, and can't find it.

I really like the ease of use I see possible with this software, but before I put up the money, I'd like to be able connect the concepts of how the modeling relates to the stock, and how to do basic operations like planing off the top of a piece of stock.

I'm hoping maybe someone who uses the software on a regular basis can give me some tips on the simple stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,

--97T--

Start with something simple.
    1. Stock size
    2. Use the top view and draw a square on your stock. Using the drawing tools will be slow at first but FC is very intuitive once you see how the drawing tools work. Stay with 2D for now. After you draw the square you now have “geometry”.
    3. Now make your square 2D drawing a “curve”, you will need this to make a feature.
    4. From tools on the left open the Feature window, select from a curve, boss, and it will walk you through curve selection, depth of cut, cutter selection, feeds and speeds can be changed here.

You can do almost any milling process using this method except for surface milling. Remember geometry, curve, and feature. The details you will find in the help file.
    Gary

Thank you sir, I will give that a try.

The terminology is my only stumbling block -- nowhere in the docs could I associate a 'curve' and a 'boss' with shaving off the top of a block. Since 'boss' means a protruberance of some kind, I never tried it. (I did figure out that 'curve' means 'feature boundary' or somesuch.)

Thanks for your help!

--97T--

OK, that didn't work the way I was hoping .....

I tried it and on preview I get zero action.

It looks like the wizard expects a protuberance. Is the problem that I'm making my 'curve' the same size as my stock? Do I have to make stock where there is no stock, in order to 'boss' the top of my (real) stock?

It seems like I'm missing something really basic here.

Like a "Face Mill" feature.

--97T--

Sorry I didn’t read carefully. To face all you need to do is go to the tool box on the left. Select Features from the steps menu, select face, and follow the wizard.
    Gary

Maybe you are not seeing anything because some of the tools are hidden. Go to view, down to toolbars, turn on the simulation tool bar. Now after you finish with the face wizard you can run the simulation to see the tool path.
    Gary

Thank you for your patience, Gary sir. I figured it out. You have to draw the stock as the size of the feature you want to plane off the top of, in order for the wizard to work.

I'm working on how to plane off just the top surface of a curve or surface next. So I can use a flat end mill for a top surface, then switch to something else for contours. I tried extruding a closed 'curve' and spent hours trying to generate an operation for the top of it. It still escapes me, how the stock relates to contours, curves, and other entities you create. You only get to enter a primitive shape for stock, and other entities don't seem to affect it. And it seems some wizards work on the stock, others work on the entities you create. I can't find an explanation for that.

I have another question, if you don't mind.

Even though I have Z rapid plane set at 1.00 everywhere I can find, when I rotate the view and watch the tool move, for a drill operation for example, it always starts at a lower Z from the x-y origin and does a slant move up to Z 1.00 above the hole before plunging. If the actual toolpath went this way, the tool might go through something. So how do you tell it not to rapid unless Z is at the rapid plane?

I appreciate your help,

--97T--