586,636 active members*
2,889 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > can not get corners to fillet

can not get corners to fillet

I have been trying for over a day to get this part to fillet at the top, and am just about to give up. Any ideas why it will not? The angled top I think is the problem. Oh, and this is v27

thanks to anyone who can bring back my sanity over this issue

Also, the item was built using surfaces since the side walls have a tapir to them, but when I select all the surfaces and combine using solid add and get it as one piece, I still have a hollow part. When I try to subtract some lettering it shows as hollow instead of recessed. Any ideas on how to make it solid in the center?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bobcad image 2.jpg  

Re: can not get corners to fillet

let's see the .bbcd file please

How do I share it, forum is not allowing me to upload that file type?

Quote Originally Posted by billsnogo View Post
    How do I share it, forum is not allowing me to upload that file type?
    You need to Zip the file, go to your file and right click on it and from the list that appears select "Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder", you will then be able to upload the Zipped file to the forum

Have you tried using the "Stich surfaces to Solid" facility under "Utilities" ?

I had to do that to the side walls to get them to "blend" since there is a 5* draft to them and they did not blend well until I combined them using "add solid" then unstitching them and deleting the "excess" surfaces.

Hope I attached the file correctly, had delete a ton since the file was too big being zipped.

Still no luck. Now I tried doing it with no draft to the vertical walls, still no luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bobcadhelpjpg.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Had another look at it for you now I have some more time

Seems to me that your geometry is at fault, too many very short lines and arcs that don`t appear to line up properly with each other, very hard to get any of it to work so I did a little bit of editing and it seems to be better now but still very a poor shape, one side seems to be different to the other

So, re-made the shape using Blended Splines and it works great, just hope that the shape is close enough to what you need as I don`t know how critical the original shape was/is

The radius is 0.25, as I had no idea what rad you wanted I just plumped for that. The draft angle is 5 degrees, if you need the shape sending again either without a rad or a different one let me know and I`ll do another file for you, haven`t time right now, sorry

Anyway, here are some pics of what I managed to achieve

Also attached is a Zip file with the three files in it for each pic, they are .STEP files so should open fine in any version of BC, if you want to double check the size/shape you`ll need to extract the edges from the solids. One solid I didn`t do a cut so you can have a go at cutting your own designs/text etc into it, just make whatever it is as lines and arcs and use the "Project Curves to Surface" facility under the "Other" menu to get it onto the surface of the solid, then just hide the solid either by a layer or the blank facility, extrude the shape using the surface extrude and the just do a Boolean subtract to get the cutaway

Hope this is of some help to you

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Excellent! I had been using approximated splines to get the shape (and no, it is not symetrical, kind of an odd shape) and the geometry seemed to not even connect if you really zoomed in, and all different odd things happening. I had tried blended spline, but it looked like it zig zagged, but guess it looks that way until I click okay. I had all those little points to make the shape, as there is no smooth or constant radius to go off since it is such an odd shape. What I did was scan the part, rezised to to the correct dimension, they used the points to make the shape in bobcad, otherwise there would be no where near all those points. Trying this as a first project when I get my VMC running in the garage for a friend at work.

thanks so much, I guess I really need to practice more with bobcad, just wonder why appriximated will not work? Need to learn which is the best choice in different situations. I am guessing because it has slight inward radii on the outsides. Need to try and smooth it out a bit.

much appreciated
    bill

edit:
    Now I can get the 5 degree draft and try .25 radius fillet, but still get the error. But if I choose .100 fillet, it gives me what I have zipped now. Must be not smooth enough curves??? Sorry to keep bugging you, but don't know for sure what I am doing wrong in my geometry.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The general fixed it up. Here's a video touching on the issues using your file. The main error with fillet is you have a hard corner, with a tangential issue. What its doing is traversing very slightly in and out of tan, which will buggar most fillet engines (Cant really make an arc on that)

In the video I start by drawing a little spline to show what I am deleting. I attached the model after done here.

https://youtu.be/sr_zKOWZIgs

When you are drawing, you want to learn about tangency and the fundamentals behind it, with regard to the tools. If you want some further explanation, go ahead and ask. May take me some time to get back.

Here's a video I did awhile back regarding drawing with tangency, which can help you in this situation.

https://youtu.be/J-ODqfhwTlg

Hi Burr

Great work there with the videos, explained it way better than I could have done

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Thank you so very much, it gives me a visual (helps me A LOT!) on what is happening. Thank you both for your help. I will redo this part and see if I can get the result I am after.

Burr,
    That's a brilliant video, I continue to pick up bits of really useful information thanks to the generous contributions of guys like you and Rob,
    Thanks,
    Nick

I have to thank you both again, your help was badly needed. I now have redrawn the part and have been able to get the fillet and draft angles I have been after. Still took a few trys on the "hard corners" but finally got it. I appreciate fixing the part for me, but wanted to do it myself so I learn. I never really get a chance to do the cad side of things at work, so I run into problems and thankfully there are helpfull people here to help.

thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Burr,
    That's a brilliant video, I continue to pick up bits of really useful information thanks to the generous contributions of guys like you and Rob,
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Thanks nick. The very same apply's to you

Awsome!

Quote Originally Posted by billsnogo View Post
    but wanted to do it myself so I learn.
    Bingo! Carry on.