586,103 active members*
3,672 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > how do i obtain required degree steps?

how do i obtain required degree steps?

I am making a machine that requires the stepper motor to moves to a required of 72 steps in a rotation which is 5 degrees.
    But my motor is a 1.8 degrees per steps. My motor driver is able to do half steping which gives me 0.9 degree per steps. Somehow I am still unable to reach the required accuracy in stepping for my application.
    Is there a way to increase accuracy? What about belting drive the motor?

use a 20 and 36 tooth timing belt setup to get 1° per step and step 5 times.

Aaron

my application requires me to slot a piece of abrasive paper at the interval of 5 degrees.
    by doing a belt drive with a 20 and 36 teeth, it gives me 1 degree per steps and thus allows me to get 5 degrees.
    but after long run will the belt drive still be as precised? or does gearing helps? which is more precised?

thank you

The easiest way would be to get an IMS Mdrive plus, and program is to move 5 degrees from an input, connect the input to a switch, and there you have it.
    http://www.imshome.com/mdrive23plus_mdi.html
    I have been using them for the last 5 year and they are very good, and easy to set up.
    If you want to use your exiting motor and driver, then gearing is most likely the best way.
    Work on full step (+-5% of a full step accuracy) and use a belt & pulley or a low backlash gearbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphonics View Post
    my application requires me to slot a piece of abrasive paper at the interval of 5 degrees.
    by doing a belt drive with a 20 and 36 teeth, it gives me 1 degree per steps and thus allows me to get 5 degrees.
    but after long run will the belt drive still be as precised? or does gearing helps? which is more precised?

thank you
    Motion Control Products Ltd
    www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk