586,356 active members*
2,937 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lets try this again

I exchanged the HF 8x10 for another today. Cleaned up the machine, checked allignments and it looks pretty good.

I also went to a local machine shop tool supplier and got some tips on the proper cutting tools for the machine. I walked out of the store with a catalog, some cutting bits and a conversion chart.

What the salesman told me was they did not have the proper cutting tools for my lathe and sold me some that were just undersized and that I should shim up the tool to the center of what I am cutting. I got home and found a case of business cards and used them for shims. The cutting tools are .250 and can not be tightend down without shims.

Are there a set of cutting tools made for this machine with or without removable bits? Should I get tools with removable bits or just regular carbide bits and sharpen them?

I have cut an axle and it came out ok. The axle was not as smooth as I would have liked it but that is ok for the first cut ever on a lathe. I have an idea that tool allignment plays a big factor in turning.

Any tips on tools, tool allignment would be more than welcome.

Steve

Steve

Steve,

I wouldn't use business cards as shims, get a couple cheap feeler gages the fold out type. The business cards will give to much while cutting. I would stick with HSS tooling and learn to grind them yourself. I have a Smithy 3in1 and find HHS works better. Checkout littlemachineshop.com they have some preground HHS to get started and give you ideas how to grind them.

Jim Geib
    Mansfield, Ohio