586,070 active members*
3,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cables for Renco encoder?

Ive been beating my head against the wall trying to build cables for the renco R35i. You can buy versions of them from vendors at insane prices but there has to be way to make our own. They use 15 pin F1-W15S plugs from JAE Electronics.The pins themselves are impossible to manipulate without magnification. The encoders themselves come in a variety of flavors. Some are plain incremental, some utilize their hall sensors for brushless applications, some have dual or inde channels, etc.
    Here's a pic:

Attachment 309018

I have a bunch of brushless servos with these encoders. I'd like to be able to use them with both step/dir and torque/velocity drives, so bought a bag of these along with the pins and 1.25mm crimpers needed to get the job done. So far they've proven to be just too delicate and tiny to make manually. I know they were originally used with LCD screens so maybe somewhere out there is source for these cables with connectors attached that doesnt cost a fortune.

I know its a long shot. But ive invested lots of time and money into trying to make these cables and am kinda grasping at straws here.

So does anyone have some experience with these they would be willing to share?

Re: Cables for Renco encoder?

I know they are a fiddle but I have managed to crimp manually and solder with a pointed iron bit, with the aid of a magnifying lamp.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I know they are a fiddle but I have managed to crimp manually and solder with a pointed iron bit, with the aid of a magnifying lamp.
    Al.
    How are you soldering these? I can barely see them. Im guessing this requires some kind of magnification jig to hold everything in place? Ive tried a few different crimpers and about half a dozen different types of wire. What worked for you?

Thanks for your help,

Lol my hands dont move smooth enough to work with those tiny parts let along see them

Unfortunately, The only way to work with these connectors is to use the proper crimp tool. The proper crimp tools will hold the pin in the tool, and you just insert the wire and squeeze.

If I can talk you out of solder, I would be happy. solder just makes a brittle connection that often fails. It will cause your many headaches.

The tool is about $1000USD, so you need to track down a local cable manufacturer that has the tool and offer them a couple of bottles of their favorite wine!! Other than that, you can often find a generic tool that will do the job a lot cheaper, but they usually dont have the bits to hang onto the pin.

BTW, if you hunt around, you will often find that other companies make the same part, Ie, TE, JST, Molex etc. Often they make the tooling a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearo View Post
    Unfortunately, The only way to work with these connectors is to use the proper crimp tool. The proper crimp tools will hold the pin in the tool, and you just insert the wire and squeeze.

If I can talk you out of solder, I would be happy. solder just makes a brittle connection that often fails. It will cause your many headaches.

The tool is about $1000USD, so you need to track down a local cable manufacturer that has the tool and offer them a couple of bottles of their favorite wine!! Other than that, you can often find a generic tool that will do the job a lot cheaper, but they usually dont have the bits to hang onto the pin.

BTW, if you hunt around, you will often find that other companies make the same part, Ie, TE, JST, Molex etc. Often they make the tooling a lot cheaper.
    Yeah, I bought a generic tool that is supposed to be made for crimping tiny connectors like this. It just seems to bend and butcher the pins to where they wont slide into the connector. I tried soldering but that was a mess too. Is there a decent tool out there that doesnt cost a grand? I searched around and didnt find any that would work with this particular pin. And thank you for help.