Would like to drive a machinists rotary table with a stepper motor, controlled thru an Arduino.

The table rotates 4 degrees per handle revolution. I can run the stepper at 400 steps per revolution, which gives 4/400 or .01 degrees per step. This can further be reduce with a 5:1 timing gear reduction/division (which also gives back some torque) to .002 degrees per step.

The RT with stepper would be used to cut gears and other general dividing operations. This is generally done with a mechanical dividing head with division plates to cover the divisions that don'e go evenly into 360 - like 35, 27, 127, etc. This involves a certain amount of calculations to get the correct plate and then still requires a lot of manual rotations where errors/accidents could slip in.

To wit: to cut a 35 tooth gear would require stepping 10.2876 degrees per tooth/division. Instead of a dividing head & plates I'd like to drive the rotary table with a stepper.

With the above 35 tooth requirement for each tooth/division, I would have to move 10.2876 degrees per tooth. With the stepper moving at .002 deg per step you would need (10.2876 /.002) 5143.8 steps per tooth - rounded up to 5144 since the stepper can only move in whole steps.

My question is: By dividing the stepper movement down to small fractions of a degree per step, would the error generated by rounding the step-count to the nearest whole count be acceptable? If so - this would greatly simply gear cutting and dividing operations.