586,065 active members*
4,689 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > need help! Radius at bottom of pocket

need help! Radius at bottom of pocket

Hey guys, I'm moderately new to mastercam and I'm having problems correctly chaining the radius at the bottom of a pocket with the overall shape of the pocket. There are counter bores on the back side that force this pocket to have features around the corners of the pocket. Is there a special way to keep the radius paired up with the bends of the pocket that I'm missing? In the attatched .jpg I highlighted the radius and the shape of the pocket that I'm dealing with. Thank you for help in advance, this has been causing me a headache for quite some time now.

Re: need help! Radius at bottom of pocket

You need to select a "Surfacing" operation
    - drive surfaces ( suggest you create a surface from solid,( will make selecting easier) ) of the bottom feature
    - check surfaces ( would be the top face of the part, but only if needed )
    - containment boundary ( will be an entity chain around the upper, inside edge of the pocket ), tool needs to be set to stay inside boundary.

- tool diameter needs to be same or smaller than the inside corner fillets on the walls ( can be ball-nose or bull-nose cutter)

NOTE-- you will be left with a radius on the wall to base surface intersection

By selecting too many items to check can create more problems, start off by using the minimum info & only add to it, to control any strange toolpaths
    ie --- the walls need only be selected if tapered, the containment boundary would stop the path intruding into the wall.

Cool Re: need help! Radius at bottom of pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    You need to select a "Surfacing" operation
    - drive surfaces ( suggest you create a surface from solid,( will make selecting easier) ) of the bottom feature
    - check surfaces ( would be the top face of the part, but only if needed )
    - containment boundary ( will be an entity chain around the upper, inside edge of the pocket ), tool needs to be set to stay inside boundary.

- tool diameter needs to be same or smaller than the inside corner fillets on the walls ( can be ball-nose or bull-nose cutter)

NOTE-- you will be left with a radius on the wall to base surface intersection

By selecting too many items to check can create more problems, start off by using the minimum info & only add to it, to control any strange toolpaths
    ie --- the walls need only be selected if tapered, the containment boundary would stop the path intruding into the wall.

Hey Superman, thank you for your quick reply.

Using the surface operations worked wonderfully.
    I was attempting to chain it with a swept path, after using the surface operations you suggested, I had it programmed in about 2 minutes.
    Thank you so much for your help!