586,051 active members*
3,983 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Purchasing Laser for Asset Marking and Other Projects

Ok, I've been lurking and reading for a while, but this is my first post. I'm the IT director for a school district, and am in the market for a laser machine. The primary use (purchase justification) for it will be putting asset/property markings permanently on to smaller pieces of equipment such as laptops. We've got a couple hundred anodized aluminum MacBook Airs running around with no good way to mark them, and will be adding more (potentially a lot more) in the next few months. I've already got an approved budget of $5500, though I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to make a convincing enough case to try and get that bumped up some to get what we need. When I say bumped up some, I don't mean nearly enough to afford a US made machine. North of $10,000 for this purchase isn’t going to happen. On the other hand, direct import from China just won't work with our procurement system. So I'm firmly in the realm of US-ified Chinese machines.

A couple of other schools in the region have Full Spectrum machines, so that was where I started looking, but have pretty much ruled them out. Too many non-positive comments and, well, they just don’t seem to give much bang for the bucks. I’m basically down to bouncing in between a Boss Laser LS-1630 and a couple of models from Rabbit USA (RL-60-9060 or QX-40-7040 upgraded with 60w tube). I've also looked at Automation Technologies, but the biggest thing they show in a 60 watt is a 24"x16". In addition to MacBooks, we've also got iMacs that could use marking, and they're about 25.5" wide, so that 24" doesn't work so well. I don't need to be able to mark the whole back of them, but do need to be able to get them in the machine. I've also looked at MornTech USA. Their MT-L570 is a 60 watt laser which specs a 28”x20” work area (not engraving area, but work area) so it might work, and is a lot closer to fitting my approved budget, but I can’t seem to find much on the company, and their website descriptions are a bit shaky (really no more so than Auto Tech), so I’m leery of that.

The smaller 400mm-ish machines from Rabbit or Boss would fit the 27” iMac with the "foot" stand hanging out the front passthough. Then there's the RL-60-9060, which, at almost 24" x 36" engrave area is big enough to fit a 27" iMac completely inside with room to spare. Likely also fit whatever size comes next, which would be great. It would also nicely handle four MacBook Airs (9"x13" apprrox) at the same time (in a jig of some sort) for efficiency. Oh, and it's about the same price as the Boss LS-1630. Funny, as I'm typing that out, it's really seeming more and more like a foregone conclusion which way I should go.

But, I'm totally new to the laser world, and I’m spending other people's money, so really can't afford to make snap decisions. Looking at specs on a page, the Boss LS-1630 and the 60 watt Rabbit QX-40-7040 seem to be fairly similar machines. Wattage, engraving area, Z-Height, max resolution are all similar. The biggest difference I can see is the Rabbit uses LaserCut and a Leetro controller while the Boss uses LaserWorks and, I think, a Ruida controller. Ultimately, does that make me much difference? Like I say, primary purpose will be marking equipment, so fine detail stuff (smaller lettering, barcodes, and perhaps a logo) will be what I’m looking for there. But I also figure to do some signage projects out of Rowmark or something similar, and there’s no telling what other sorts of projects will come up as time goes by. As far as non-laser software goes, I’ve had a fair amount of experience creating vector art, but in Adobe Illustrator rather than CorelDraw. Most drawing programs are somewhat similar so I don’t figure Draw will be too hard to catch on to, but if I can come out of Illustrator which I already know, more’s the better. Laser software is a new thing though. Is LaserWorks really more up to date and/or easier to work with, or are they more similar than I may be thinking?

As far as machine wattage, does a 60 watt sound like what I’m looking for. I’m sure I’ll want to do some cutting of acrylic and thinner wood, but marking/engraving is my primary use, and I understand that higher wattage tubes can be problematic for that. What about lenses? A 50.8mm (2”) seems to be standard most everywhere, but should I look seriously at a 38.1mm (1.5”) for finer detail? I’m thinking I won’t ever need to go with anything longer than 2” focal length. But I could certainly be wrong.

Last question I’ve got for now would be chillers. The Boss comes with a basic water pump with the CW3000 and CW5000 available as extra cost upgrades. The Rabbit units by default come with the CW3000, but I’m guessing if I asked, could probably upgrade to the CW5000 for a bit of extra cash. The room I’m looking at setting the machine up in is air conditioned, but it is also a smaller space, so I’m thinking a freon chiller would be a better call than the simple ambient temp unit. Or is that not that big an issue for a 60 watt? I mean, having to take a little downtime between batches for the works to cool won’t be the end of the world. I’m not trying to make money with this or anything. But at the same time, efficient use of time is always good.

So, am I anywhere near the right track on my thinking? Any advice offered will be much appreciated. Like I say, this is new territory for me, so I’m just doing my best to make an informed decision. Thanks.

Re: Purchasing Laser for Asset Marking and Other Projects

check this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnAd3891WhM

you can leave me your skype and email, i sent you info about it .
    Shandong Yishun CNC Machinery Co.,Ltd Email: [email protected]
    Whats App&Mobile: 0086-137-9314-0576 Skype: YSCNC05

Depends on the version you get with each rdworks v8 also called laser works well imports old illustrator files fine. Just export as illustrator 8 in your newer software, and import into rdworks.

You will need a chiller cannot air cool a Chinese laser. Opt for the cw5000 over the cw3000 you will thank yourself later that you did. Cw3000 is fine but cw5000 is a more robust chiller.

Lens will depend on the detail you want ask your laser supplier.

Thank you for the detailed information.
    1. ok, direct from China just won't work with your procurement system. So you are firmly in the realm of US-ified Chinese machines.
    Please buy this machine near you, so that you can get hep easily when there is something wrong with your machine.
    2. I will recommend Ruida controller, because almost 85% manufacturers use Ruida controller in China, it is easy to get help from other people or online.
    we also have many guiding videos on our website.
    http://www.thunderlaser.com/how-to-use-laser-software
    3. if you choose 900x600 size machine, 80 watt laser tube is suitable, if 700x500 or similiar size machine, just keep it 60 watt.
    4. yes, water chiller CW5000 is necessary.
    5. 2" focus lenses.

An 80w laser will engrave very nicely. A 40w or 60w are the preferred lasers for fine detail engraving, such as photos.
    I would go with the CW-5000 chiller, it should only add about $300 over a CW3000. As for lenses, it depends on the deal you make
    with the vendor. Some charge 2 to 3 times what you can buy them for elsewhere. It would be good to have a 1.5".
    Also be sure to call the vendor and tell him it is for a school. I would think you will get a nice deal.
    As for where to buy, if one of the vendors is near you, I would try to go through them. Rabbit seems to have the best reputation
    for standing behind their machines.

You will find that high wattage machines are larger mostly because of the length of the tube. 80 w is a yard long where 40w is less then 3 feet. 40 is plenty for engraving.
    You didn't mention exhaust which is critical. You can also experiment with lenses later. Just my opinion but this seems like an expensive way to go compared to using asset tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to purchase nearby, but am located in NE Arkansas. Rabbit in Ohio is about 8 hours drive according to Google, Boss in Florida is more like 13 hours. Automation Technologies in Chicago is closer, but their machines don't really fit my needs and I keep reading varying things on post sales support, so that pretty much leaves them out.

Seems most recommend going ahead and getting a CW5000 over a CW3000 for a chiller. That's pretty much what I was expecting. As far as exhaust goes, current plan is to blow it out a nearby window. I found a thread over on sawmillcreek about an inexpensive homebrew air cleaner system in a trashcan that has me intrigued though.

As far as tube wattage, I certainly wouldn't mind an 80 watt as long as it would do what I need. The extra power for occasional cutting would be nice. But my budget is going to keep me pretty well at 60 watts or less, so 60 seemed a good compromise.

Dean448, I know it seems an expensive way to tag assets. I posted the same thread over on sawmillcreek, and beleive me, those guys drug me over the coals but good on that subject. Thing is, laser has one distinct advantage over stick on tags though. Permanence. We've tried multiple types of stick on tags over the years, and found none that stand up very well to life in a school. You'd be amazed just how non-permanent a "permanent" stick on tag can be in the presence of a high school kid who would rather sit and monkey with it than do their work. To say nothing of the kids who like to damage stuff just for the sake of damaging stuff, or who have even more nefarious things in mind. We're talking about issuing $1100 devices to students to carry around, slip in and out of bags multiple times a day, and take home overnight. For that, we need the most permanent way of marking that we can get. Besides, like I told them, asset tagging is just the initial justification for the purchase. If that's the only thing this machine is ever used for, I'll eat my hat. Its amazing how a new tool often becomes the perfect solution to problems you didn't even know you had before you bought the tool.

wklaserliu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jeepers94 View Post
    An 80w laser will engrave very nicely. A 40w or 60w are the preferred lasers for fine detail engraving, such as photos.
    I would go with the CW-5000 chiller, it should only add about $300 over a CW3000. As for lenses, it depends on the deal you make
    with the vendor. Some charge 2 to 3 times what you can buy them for elsewhere. It would be good to have a 1.5".
    Also be sure to call the vendor and tell him it is for a school. I would think you will get a nice deal.
    As for where to buy, if one of the vendors is near you, I would try to go through them. Rabbit seems to have the best reputation
    for standing behind their machines.
    HI jeepers94 ,

So now what is your condition of our LG900N ?

early we talk it with CW5000 chiller 80w reci ,and you give up tp consider it ?

LG900N with 80w RECI tube, both types of rotary units:chuck ind and four wheels kind ,auto focus, red dot point up&down table , CW-5000 chuller ,110v 60hz, etc:USD3800 FOB

ok, i think you need consider well before make decision.

ok,Quiven

[email protected]

Well if you need durability you could always consider passive RFID. It is kind of funny thinking about kids pealing tags off. If interested , send me a design and I'll let you know how much power it takes to engrave it. I have a couple junk laptops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk