586,655 active members*
3,322 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Large SCR DC Drive?

I have a Bridgeport BTC 2 and was going to get a regular 3ph motor and VFD to replace the current 7.5HP DC spindle motor. But after looking at the DC drive, I started thinking, would it be worth the work to make the DC drive and motor work?

I have a few of these: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...LbPvEMywy77OPg

Since these little drives use SCR's would it be possible just to connect the gate wires from the big SCR's to the board and pull the small scrs's out? Or is a lot more involved than that?

I don't think it is possible to make it work with all the orignal electronics that are there, as there is about ~37 wires that connect to the panel.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCdrive.jpg   DCdrive2.jpg   DCdrive3.jpg  
    Dennis

So, you want to use the SCR's that are on the Bridgeport and drive them with the DC motor control boards....

Well it will most likely work, but I'm sure that the BP controller is not just driving (turning on) the SCR....is is varying it's turn on time to control the speed of the motor.....also it is sensing the current to determine an open or overload condition.....

It's possible....just depends on how quickly you want it to work.....

Also.....remember that when you turn an SCR on the only way to turn it off if to remove the DC voltage.....

Is the drive in working order now, and you want to re-interface it with a new control?
    If so I would look at that route first, The only thing is it has 3 phase input, which may not take kindly to RPC supply.
    The VFD approach, means you can use 1 phase in, and you should be able to get a VFD with what the DC drive/motor will fetch.
    This may save alot of time, over trying to modify the 1ph SCR drives.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.