586,065 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post Probing, Mach3, touch plate, G54 Z offset

Looking for a little info with using a touch plate.

I think I have a grasp on getting Mach3 setup for tool offset probing with a touch plate.

But my Question is, how can I use the touch plate to set Z0 for G54? I want to set all my tool lengths off the table so I can keep an accurate tool table, and not have to set them off the work piece every time I start up the machine.

I have looked on the youtube and everything I've found goes over tool offsetting, but nothing really talks about using a touch plate for work offsetting.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge,
    Andrew

Re: Probing, Mach3, touch plate, G54 Z offset

287798-mach3-probe-routines-full-auto-rectangles-angle.html

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mach-w...ines+full+auto

Check out the above link

But to answer you'r question,
    it's easy
    I assume you have a working touch plate if not got to the above and get a copy of my routines for Mach3

Get a piece of paper place it under you'r EndMill jog the Z down to the paper on the bed use very slow jog so you can just drag out the paper once you
    are happy with the drag set the Z Axis DRO to Zero

When you Zero the Z make sure you are in the right offset that want i.e G54

Then move you axis so that the end mill is above your touch plate by a few mill
    in the MDI type the following

F20
    G1
    g31Z0

once the probe has triggered take note of the value in the Z DRO
    Place this value in the plate offset
    thats it all done

when you change a tool use the Set Z routine that you have and the new tool will be at Z Zero i.e zero is the top of you'r bed

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles84 View Post
    Looking for a little info with using a touch plate.

I think I have a grasp on getting Mach3 setup for tool offset probing with a touch plate.

But my Question is, how can I use the touch plate to set Z0 for G54? I want to set all my tool lengths off the table so I can keep an accurate tool table, and not have to set them off the work piece every time I start up the machine.

I have looked on the youtube and everything I've found goes over tool offsetting, but nothing really talks about using a touch plate for work offsetting.
    Thanks for sharing the knowledge,
    G54 is mostly used for X & Y axes only, Using a G54 for Z0 is usually done with a probe, if this is not working for you, leave it as G54 Z0 in the offsets, any number in the G54 Z0 will affect your G43 Tool offsets you have in your Tool table, by the amount you have set in the G54 Z0

G43 is used for your tool offsets
    Mactec54

I guess what I'm looking for is a way to set Z0 in G54 with using an automated touch macro like used when touching off tools for tool length.

I want to set all of my tool lengths in relation to the table as the distance from my home switch to the table should be a constant. All my tools will be setup in TTS style holders.

Maybe there isn't a way to do this with a touch plate (auto zero G54)? I was just hoping to not have to get a probe and be able to get away with a touch plate.

I've done paper touch thing in the past (tops papers work great as their about .001" thick). But that was on CNC's that were older then me!

Thanks for responses,
    Andrew

You can you just have to choose a tool to be your master tool and always set your G54 using that tool. I my case I use the touch probe as my master tool. I don't have it in a TTS style holder so my work flow is m6 T# of my master tool. Load it and measure it using the touch plate. Set G54 with it and then measure the tool offsets with the touch plate when the G-Code calls for a tool change.

Probing, Mach3, touch plate, G54 Z offset

Don't confuse tool and work offsets.

Do you have tools persistent checked on the General config page?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A lazy man does it twice.

It let's Mach3 remember what tool is in the spindle when you close and restart it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi......from my limited CNC experience.....I use a tool setter block, the type with a dial indicator to set all my tools at 50mm above the table surface......you can go up and down a few thou until you get the zero just spot on.

This means all my tools, long or short, drill or end mill etc are set at 50mm above the table..........all my Z values when working with a vice are then plus values....if the job is down on the table the Z zero is 50mm above the table.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi......from my limited CNC experience.....I use a tool setter block, the type with a dial indicator to set all my tools at 50mm above the table surface......you can go up and down a few thou until you get the zero just spot on.

This means all my tools, long or short, drill or end mill etc are set at 50mm above the table..........all my Z values when working with a vice are then plus values....if the job is down on the table the Z zero is 50mm above the table.
    Ian.
    I have one of those tool setter blocks as well, just in inch form. It works great and all. I am just trying see if a touch plate setup can be used like a probe for setting my z offset in G54, like a passive probe? I think that's what they are called?

In other words, being a cheap a$$!

Andrew

Hi, any touch down method, as long as it works, is OK........I bought the Metric block with indicator type when I bought the mill a couple 'a years ago and eventually got to use it......it took a bit of a learning curve to work out how it was used......being a just arrived CNC'er etc.
    Ian.