586,058 active members*
4,201 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread milling

What type of cutting tool is used for thread milling on a gantry router/mill
    The More I Learn The Less I Seem To Know

There are a couple options. A single pitch tool is like a pointed keyway cutter. It needs to make as many rotations as the thread depth. These can do a range of pitches.

The other, more expensive, option is like a tap with several pitches on the same tool. These only take one revolution. However they are limited to one pitch.

I paid the big bucks for a carbide NPT thread mill. It works great for getting that just right fit.

Check out MSC or similar online supplier.

Note: There are listings for internal and external cutters and I can't figure out why. I've used the same one both ways. I have not done accurate inspection though.

www.alliedmachine.com they have really good ones and the best part is they right the program for you online just typ in what tool you have what material your cutting and thy do the rest then just cut and past it. you can also email [email protected]
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.