586,075 active members*
4,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Fusion 360 and general chamfer questions

Fusion 360 and general chamfer questions

Hi guys, got a question I cant seem to rationalize in my head. If I'm chamfering an edge and the edge runs directly into the wall, I obviously cant get in there with a chamfer mill and would need to lead out before colliding with the wall.

Is there an automatic way Fusion 360 will run the chamfer without having to manually model the lead out in the 3D model?

The highlight corner is what you get just adding a fillet between something that can be cut from two sides.

I could certainly model the path with the chamfer leading out before the corner but that gets to be tedious when you have a larger part with several tabs on a wall to chamfer that are not on an edge orthogonal to that surface or in the case of a 3D chamfer path.

Re: Fusion 360 and general chamfer questions

Yes. Use "Tangential Extension Distance" on the Geometry tab to control where the path starts and stops relative to its end-points. You can enter a positive or negative value. You'll probably have to un-check tangent propogation and select individual contour segments to make the proper selections.

BTW - It's quite easy to create models using the chamfer and fillet tools that are impossible to machine without resorting to 3D toolpaths...

Regards,
    Ray L.

Re: Fusion 360 and general chamfer questions

Ahh, perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for. I design for cast, molded, machined, weldments, and sheet metal parts every day so know all about designing impossible things. I just figured there had to be a bit of smarts in the program I was missing to do just this.