586,108 active members*
3,184 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need advice please

I am considering buying a 3040/6040 machine from Carving cnc.

Having read various posts on the forum I am now worried if the machine is going to be ok for occasional use cutting out 2mm carbon sheet without changing the control system and the spindle?
    I am totally new to cnc so would like some advice please. How long can a non water cooled spindle be run for cutting carbon sheet ?
    Does anyone run one of these machines in standard form with no issues ?

Thanks Nick Wadman

As I've posted in the 6040 threads here, my Carving-CNC unit with the new black control box worked just fine out of the box(es) without any mods. The older blue-box units seem to be the problematic ones.

I've subsequently added a few mods to mine to add a bit more automation, but, again, the unit was perfectly functional to start with.

I have a water-cooled spindle, and it runs for hours at a time no problem, but I'd assume an air-cooled spindle should be fine too. The drawback with an air-cooled unit, though, is that the air flow would tend to stir up the particles from cutting, which, for carbon fibre, may not be the best thing.

Re: Need advice please

Hey Nick,

I'm just starting out and trying to get my head around all the different ideas and options..

We seem to be in the same boat with regards to using a CNC machine for cutting up CF.

Can I ask, what machine/set up did you go for in the end?

Thx, Rob

Russell,
    What Mods did you do to your machine did you wire the VFD for computer spindle control by chance?
    Thanks
    Walt

Hey Russell,

Is this the machine you use for working with carbon fibre?- 6040T 3 AXIS USB CNC ROUTER ENGRAVER ENGRAVING CUTTER BALL SCREW 800W CARVING | eBay

Thx, Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RussellK View Post
    As I've posted in the 6040 threads here, my Carving-CNC unit with the new black control box worked just fine out of the box(es) without any mods. The older blue-box units seem to be the problematic ones.

I've subsequently added a few mods to mine to add a bit more automation, but, again, the unit was perfectly functional to start with.

I have a water-cooled spindle, and it runs for hours at a time no problem, but I'd assume an air-cooled spindle should be fine too. The drawback with an air-cooled unit, though, is that the air flow would tend to stir up the particles from cutting, which, for carbon fibre, may not be the best thing.