586,216 active members*
3,462 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > Path Pilot Modifications to remove or add features. & some General Questions.

Path Pilot Modifications to remove or add features. & some General Questions.

I've been using Pathpilot now, actually I would say more like trying to learn and understand it.

Wondering of anyone can cast some light on these.

One
    (The MDI input field), after each time it has been used, the text "MDI" is placed back into the field. It is annoying to deleted this each time you want to type a line of text.

Is it possible to delete this text from Linux so that it never returns.

Two
    (The loading files window) in operating systems is it usual to be able to browse other drives, and other levels of folders all the way back to the root of a drive.
    is there a way to modify the Linux build to allow it to show all drives including network based mapped drives. Or to change the path of the home folder to a mapped network drive.

I have a small Pathpilot controller with the mill and my CAD computer in my studio & a networked Laser printer, these are Networked together but I must use a USB stick to load NC files. It is quite frustrating. My Pathpilot Controller also is connected to the internet to allow me to watch online tutorials but I cannot move easily files.

Three
    I see that in the preview window of Pathpilot, when manually jogging it is showing the route taken by the X,Y and Z movements . I wondered if these movements can be saved to a file.

Four
    Anyone know how to take a screen shot with Pathpilot running, and how to save a jpg of the screen.

Re: Path Pilot Modifications to remove or add features. & some General Questions.

i got now pathpilot running for first time so do alt and tab to get access to the system choose accesories there is an screen picture program klick it hide all windows you dont like and photo it worked on my machin that sayed is mine is just a tesmachine with no mesa card and i am an linuxcnc expert but pathpilot newbie -

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Re: Path Pilot Modifications to remove or add features. & some General Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tkamsker View Post
    i got now pathpilot running for first time so do alt and tab to get access to the system choose accesories there is an screen picture program klick it hide all windows you dont like and photo it worked on my machin that sayed is mine is just a tesmachine with no mesa card and i am an linuxcnc expert but pathpilot newbie -

Thanks, what is that application called.

Perhaps these comments will be of some help:
    One
    On my screen (PP 1.9.3) the "MDI" text is in light gray and does not need to be cleared before typing. Just click on the area and type the desired MDI command.

Two
    PP publishes a Samba share called "gcode". I access it from a Windows machine as opposed to accessing a Windows machine from PP. I use robocopy (free Microsoft utility) to keep files on my Windows CAD/CAM machine synched with the PP machine. It much more convenient to use the large monitor on Windows rather than the smaller touch screen on PP.

Three
    I assume that you want to save the jog info as coordinates? If so, I have no idea. Why would that be useful?

Four
    If you press shift-PrtScr you will be able to save the screen as a .PNG file. I suppose that you could convert it to .JPG with one of the many utilities. See below:
    Attachment 311014

I am new to Linux and to PathPilot and am still learning to crawl. However, here are some things that I have learned about the system. I have installed a wifi adapter with which I can communicate with my office computer for file transfer. I have also accessed the Ubuntu operating system where I did some customization t make life easier.

At startup, when the Tormach logo is displayed, pressing the left shift key + alt will open the Ubuntu window. Select [System>Preferences>Keyboard Shortcuts] to open the window for customizing keyboard shortcuts. Select the shortcut desired from the list and enter the keyboard combination desired. For instance, I set ctrl + alt + f to open the file system and ctrl + alt +c to open the calculator.

I have not found a way to access the Ubuntu header without booting into Ubuntu. That is, to go from PathPilot into Ubuntu from a normal boot. The hot keys are active from a normal boot.

It is possible to deselect PathPilot from the Startup menu and start it from Ubuntu but when I did, some strange things happened so I backed away quickly.

Also, I haven't tried it but I don't believe that it would be a good idea to leave the PathPilot window while a machine program was running.

under linuxcnc you can leave the window because the realtime process is running anyway and connects to your ui. and the display line in the ini shows that pathpilot is just another ui like gmoccapy or axis that sayed i looked into how they did it and this is a verry good puece of integration of scripts ui and linuxcnc i am now waiting for my mesa cards to see it on my machine in real life they will be even able to support you while you do a part in teamviewer ,..

Quote Originally Posted by Tkamsker View Post
    Tkamsker Your Inbox is full, I tried to reply your message
    I have an PCNC1100

ah i see
    do you have an ATC ?
    if yes i would have some questions with it
    thomas

@Andyf97 ,
    you can access a windows network to access gcode files etc from a shared network
    http://www.tormach.com/uploads/898/T...0415A-pdf.html

Useful info, thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by cncbasher View Post
    @Andyf97 ,
    you can access a windows network to access gcode files etc from a shared network
    http://www.tormach.com/uploads/898/T...0415A-pdf.html

Left shift + alt worked fine until I replaced the hard drive with an SSD. It now boots so fast (about 10 seconds from POST to "Mesa card not found". Is there anything that I can do to give me more time to get to Gnome?

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Is there anything that I can do to give me more time to get to Gnome?
    Yes, re- install your old HDD
    Why did you change to a SDD? Were you having performance issues with a conventional drive?
    Step

I run an SSD as well.
    I had to use an old style PS keyboard and then adjust the bios to be able to boot into the desktop. USB keyboard doesn't have time to power up.
    Lee

I put in the SSD because the old hard drive had Mach3 on it and the SSD was very cheap. I've been running PP on an old Dell to control my Tormach. My plan was to move to the original Tormach control computer with PP.

I'll try to locate a non-USB keyboard in my junque collection. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I've been running PP on an old Dell to control my Tormach. My plan was to move to the original Tormach control computer with PP.
    You might want to try pulling the drive from the Dell and installing it directly into the Tormach controller (presuming they're compatible i.e. both SATA). I've done this to swap disks regularly back and forth between a Dell, a HP and a home brew PC. I just accept the change of hardware when the bios asks and away I go.
    Step