586,626 active members*
2,455 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Epoxy Granite > Epoxy-Granite machine bases (was Polymer concrete frame?)

Threaded View

Hi, I am filling the base of my R45 style mill with a mix of West marine 105 epoxy , play sand and washed river rock. The sand and rock came from Lowes. The 50 lb sand was real nice and dry and clean. The rock was in a 40 lb bag and was wet and full of dirt and silt. I washed the rock well and spread it out on a couple old towels and let it dry. The sand and rock was about 6 or 7 dollars total. The epoxy was expensive , I bought it locally cause I wanted to play with it that day and was too impatient to wait on mail order. $130 for 1 gal of 105 epoxy and 1 quart of 206 slow hardener. It mixes 1 part hardner to 5 parts epoxy. I did partial fill on a small part of the base underneath where the column sits and the west epoxy mixes very good with the sand and rock. It is very thin and it wets out the filler very easily and goes a long way. Meaning you can make a lot of mixture with a gallon of epoxy. I have my base ready for the final pours now. I put in plumbing for a pressure lube system and made a framework that sits inside the base to keep the epoxy in the area that I want filled and out of the area I dont. Here are a couple pics. I will post more in a couple days of the final product. On the topside of the area I filled it ended up being a little higher than I wanted so I ground it down with a 4.5 inch body grinder about an eighth of an inch. It can be ground but its slow. This stuff really is hard like a flipping rock Ok let me see if the pics load. Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails base9.jpeg   base10.jpg