586,068 active members*
3,765 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Milltronics VM-17 tool change problems.

Milltronics VM-17 tool change problems.

I'm having trouble with my tool change procedure. It may be user error. Am I going about loading the tools the right way? Here's the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnsa...ature=youtu.be

Re: Milltronics VM-17 tool change problems.

Can you load the tools with Gcode? Start by going to mdi input t1m6 that will take you to tool 1. If there is a tool in the changer it will be loaded into the spindle use the tool out button to swap tools in the spindle then goto tool 2 by t2m6. Let us know if it works.

I tried the mdi gcode input method. I got a message that the changer needed to home. I then tried m code changer arm out. I could hear the 24 volt dc valve actuate slightly, but no movement. I think the valves are in need of replacement. Maybe there is a switch that is preventing the process. There are sensors on the main air cylinder for the arm. The outboard sensor is loose, however the red light is on in the retracted position. If I move the sensor along the cylinder the light goes out. When I move it back to its original mounting position the light comes on.

I don't have a tool changer, so this is just a question, but did you home the machine prior to doing all of this? You had to reset the servos in the video, that means on mine I just turned it on and haven't home it yet. When you home a machine with a tool changer, does it automatically take the tool changer to a specific tool? Way back in the late 70's when we got our first CNC mill, you had to home the machine, then use a push button to orient the tool changer to T1 and then hold buttons down to home the tool changer itself. Is your machine in the correct position for a tool change? I assume X and Y don't matter, but Z will.

You should be able to see your limit switches in the parameters screen to see if they are working. If you don't have a "door open" signal, then you won't get a move forward command, if you don't have the in position signal, you won't get a draw stud unclamp signal and so forth.

Milltronics VM-17 tool change problems.

The changer on mine doesn't home other then after using the cw and ccw tool change buttons. After power down and reset it remembers the previous position. This is not to say that the machine doesn't need to be homed. Be careful as it doesn't know if there is a tool in the spindle or not.

I tried again tonight to see if I could get the changer to move. I was rotating the changer cw and ccw previously , while vacuuming chips. I think it may be jammed or possibly a sensor on the changer wheel may be blocked. I wonder if the behavior in the video is do to a jam.

I think you have a sensor tripped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got it! it was a jammed carousel.Thanks guys!