587,333 active members*
3,065 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > 8 wire stepper motor help

Hybrid View

Question 8 wire stepper motor help

So I posted this question in the stepper forum but I am still confused, can somebody help.

Here is my problem...I have a 8 wire stepper motor that I want to run in a Gecko 201 but I don't know how to hook up the leads from the motor to the drives. I know just enough to make myself dangerous. To make things worse I had no luck finding my motor specs on the web. My motor is a Astrosyn made by the Minebea Co. I think, model number 310-6. I also did a resistance test on the leads and found that there is no resistanc between the
    orange and red
    brown and yellow
    green and blue
    black and white

I would like to get the maximum amount of torque out of this steppers as well.

I thank you in advance to any insight you may have on either finding the specs on this motor or figuring out how to solve my problem.

dave

Astrosyn Minebea 23KM series 8 wire stepper motor wiring diagram

I have run into this exact problem. Unfortunately Minebea/Astrosyn are not very good about publishing data on their old motors. Using the "D-cell" technique outlined in another post, here are my results, given for both series and parallel wired motors using bipolar drive:

Parallel:

A+ ----- RED, WHITE
    A- ----- BLACK, YELLOW

B+ ----- GREEN, BROWN
    B- ----- ORANGE, BLUE

Series:

A+ ----- RED
    A- ----- YELLOW
    Connect BLACK and WHITE together

B+ ----- GREEN
    B- ----- BLUE
    Connect ORANGE and BROWN together

If you want to drive it unipolar, the individual winding configurations are as follows:

A Windings:

--------- RED (+)
    (
    (
    (
    --------- BLACK (-)

--------- WHITE (+)
    (
    (
    (
    --------- YELLOW (-)

B Windings:

--------- GREEN (+)
    (
    (
    (
    --------- ORANGE (-)

--------- BROWN (+)
    (
    (
    (
    --------- BLUE (-)

For unipolar drive, the BLACK, WHITE, ORANGE, and BROWN wires would be connected together (to the PS ground, for example), and RED, YELLOW, GREEN, BLUE would be driven for A+, A-, B+, B- phases, respectively.

I hope this helps someone,

Steve

thaaaanks

i`ve been looking for this information for weeks. i realy apreciate it. thank you very much.