586,082 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > 220VAC FAN and Thermostat for VFD enclosure

220VAC FAN and Thermostat for VFD enclosure

Ok folks I have a 220v VFD WJ200-022S. Going to the VFD control box is #10 AWG protected by a double pull 30amp breaker in the main panel. Inside the VFD cabinet, the 220 #10 2 HOTS, 1 ground, and I ran the Nuetral as well, goes to two Atech corp. CMDB6/3 terminal blocks on a 35mm din rail. By the way the neutral(white) is not hooked up, but you never know if one may need an extra condutor. The 220 power wires from the seperate CMDB6/3 terminal blocks L1, L2 goto two J class 30amp fast blow fuses in fuse holders. From the fuse holders those wires goto the VFD to power it. Pretty simple setup.

The problem I threw into the mix is, I want a 220 VAC fan inside the VFD cabinet on a thermostat so that when the temp. inside the VFD cabinet reaches 90F the fan will kick on to cool the VFD cabinet down. Will this thermostat work on 220 VAC? 01141.9-00 - Stego - Thermostats | Galco Industrial Electronics I need to run both HOTS to the thermostat from my understanding not just one of the hots to have a balanced circuit. I was planning on using a 220 VAC double pull .05 AMP breaker to the thermostat then to the fan. The fan I looked at only pulls max .05 amps.

Ok any one have any good ideas of a thermostat that will work for this setup if the one I put the link to will not?

Jeff

Re: 220VAC FAN and Thermostat for VFD enclosure

Oh I forgot to add, I do have a main power disconnect switch before the two Altech corp. terminal blocks. This way can kill the power to the VFD enclosure if I was to open it for some reason.

Jeff

Obviously your stat will need to be rated for 220v - ours in the UK all use 240v normally so should be available. To extract you need to add air in - natural leakage may be insufficient and also if extracting the fan will have to be wet / moisture rated due to the environment. Personally i'd blow air IN with a plain ducted exhaust out - only need normal fan then?
    With regard wiring the stat, ours usually have a live in, neutral and switched live out - depending on the terminals used internally it'd either be NO goes to NC or NC goes to NO.

Quote Originally Posted by ballistic42 View Post
    Ok folks I have a 220v VFD WJ200-022S. Going to the VFD control box is #10 AWG protected by a double pull 30amp breaker in the main panel. Inside the VFD cabinet, the 220 #10 2 HOTS, 1 ground, and I ran the Nuetral as well, goes to two Atech corp. CMDB6/3 terminal blocks on a 35mm din rail. By the way the neutral(white) is not hooked up, but you never know if one may need an extra condutor. The 220 power wires from the seperate CMDB6/3 terminal blocks L1, L2 goto two J class 30amp fast blow fuses in fuse holders. From the fuse holders those wires goto the VFD to power it. Pretty simple setup.

The problem I threw into the mix is, I want a 220 VAC fan inside the VFD cabinet on a thermostat so that when the temp. inside the VFD cabinet reaches 90F the fan will kick on to cool the VFD cabinet down. Will this thermostat work on 220 VAC? 01141.9-00 - Stego - Thermostats | Galco Industrial Electronics I need to run both HOTS to the thermostat from my understanding not just one of the hots to have a balanced circuit. I was planning on using a 220 VAC double pull .05 AMP breaker to the thermostat then to the fan. The fan I looked at only pulls max .05 amps.

Ok any one have any good ideas of a thermostat that will work for this setup if the one I put the link to will not?

Jeff
    Why does it matter? If you have a neutral pulled you have access to 110. Just hook one leg of the 220 and the neutral to give you 110. I seriously doubt that a thermostat is going to impact the power balance.

Edit: Additionally it doesn't matter. Look at the power rating, it is rated for 110/220.

I would be absolutely amazed if your VFD ever got any where near hot enough to justify having ANY fan, much less a thermostatically controlled one....

Regards,
    Ray L.