586,121 active members*
3,139 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New Home for Tool Change

Where do I find the data field to make a new home for a tool change? with the part I'm running on the 4th Axis, there will be interference.

- - - Updated - - -

This is on a VF4-SS

You can alias a new tool change code ( eg. M116). You can there write something like m116=m06 G53 x45.0 y0.0 z0.0. Re write your post processor as 'tool change=M116'

There is a youtube vid in Haas tip of the day. Whenever I post to a 4ax machine it clears the trunion. For a 3ax machine it is the faster M06

Re: New Home for Tool Change

You could also just use a different work offset. In my VF2 with a TR160, before a tool change I used to send the head to tool change position G00 G28 G91 Z0, then I call G00 G90 G58 X0 Y0. The table then moved to that x,y coordinate for tool change. Good luck and have fun!

You can usually change your tool anywhere in X and Y, but you have to go home in Z first.
    That is the way its done on any Fanuc, Yasnac, Mitsubishi, etc., control I ever trained shops on in the last 20+ years.
    Heinz. doccnc.com

hi guys we've got vf2 tr160 and need to make the machine to move to safe tool change location, but not through program but by machine itself so if an operator forgets to move it by hand and pressese atc fwd, the tool changer doesnt crash.

the haas techs tried doing that through debug (moving table to safe location, going into debug mode and writing down exact position - raw data - x and y location in impulse reading) but then the table moved into wrong way and had a mild crash bending some inner sheet metal parts, then they fixed that and gave up on safe tool change position setting.

now I wonder if there is a problem with sign (- instead of +) but then again, if the actual position is read in number of impulses, not coordinates, there shouldnt be any (-) sign in reading raw data location.

So I'd like to know how is it possible to make machine safely move itself in that XY pos to avoid crash, also the tr160 table needs to be rotated to 0 both axis.

Call Haas. They helped me do something similar, although, it is not fool proof! It involves using an M06. In other words, we made it so that when you command M06, the table moves to an x,y coordinate. The problem is, it does not work for just using ATC FWD or ATC REV. You must enter in MDI: Tn M06, and then hit Cycle Start in order for it to work.

Please note, I did say call Haas, not your HFO. That way, you are the one in control of the feed hold button when the table begins to move, preferably in 5% rapids so you can catch anything moving the wrong way before a crash happens. Also, remember, any time you start playing with parameters, make sure you write the original value down before you change it so you can revert to it if you need to! Good luck and have fun with your new toy! We got ours back in January and love it!

is there a way to disable atc fwd and rew buttons except taping over them?

also how to switch machine to accept slower rapids when moving tool changer arm because even on 5% it moves arm too quick (it doesnt slow down) and i know it can be done because on vf2ss I worked a year ago it did just that, rapid percentage effected arm movement speed.