586,096 active members*
3,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Fusion-Xylotec CNC Conversion
Page 3 of 3 123
    Today I have had no problems with the Xylotex, still just playing with the wizards in Mach3.

Set up all the motors and backlash. The worst was the x axis at .005 BL which is pretty good I would say.

I tried drilling some 1 " 1018 steel with the CNC and found it not as easy going as it was without the motors. Jogging z at 1% of full. If I am missing something please let me know.

I sent another email to CNC4PC and still no answer. For me that means no sale because there is no support.

I emailed CandCNC, the breakout board suggested by Tim, about their mini I/O 2 board and got a reply the next day. I am still deciding on adding another board but I am leaning in that direction. The only thing I didn't like about the CandCNC is the outputs are not isolated, but the outputs are. On the positive side its self powered, I guess all you need is a power cord and a switch. It also comes with a free charge pump that ensures that you don't drive the Stepper board unless Mach3 is in control. It is expandable for a second DB25 port and other options. You can hook up three separate home switches, e stop and all limit switches (in series). Thats 5 inputs.

Woodenspoke

Woodenspoke,

I use the fully assembled Mini-IO 2 with both ports AND the MPG-02A w/20 buttons. I actually have two of the "boxes" and move the MPG accessory between the two (hard for me to operate two pieces of CNC machinery at the same when on is in the garage and one is in the basement workshop).

My garage setup is a DIY CNC Router (Joe's 2006R2) using Xylotex (the 4 axis board but with only 3 425 motors). I also use their 24V power supply.

In my workshop is a Harbor Freight X2 with CNC mods but with a Camtronics servo setup. The CandCNC Mini-IO 2 front ends the servo controllers (4 Gecko 340's).

I could not be happier.

On the opto-isolation - everything that should be isolated IS with the CandCNC Mini-IO. I have over 30 years of EE experience and three advanced degrees - I looked hard.

Regards,
    George

Sounds like a whole hearted thumbs up for CandCNC.

Thanks George

Today I ordered the Mini i/o 2, the i/o case, and the Step and Dir indicator board from CandCNC. I probably spent more than I wanted but I feel it will be worth it to have some isolation. The case makes the installation a breeze. If I need to add on later hopefully they will still be in business. Plus now I will have a pretty set of $18 blinking lights, oh joy.

I finally opened the Xylotex case and I was not impressed. Everything was secured with glue. If the Mini i/o box could hold the Xylotex power supply I would move everything in there but it doesn't. I can only hope my cold shop does not cause glue separation. I also found one of the heat sinks loose but not off the board so I suggest you check the inside of your case before you power it up for the first time. Screws and a mounting plate would have been nice. I guess its another project for a rainy day.

I also ordered a set of mini moisture sealed home and limit switches on eBay and expect them here soon. I went for button actuated rather than using an arm. I am going to use the x and y axis Gib locking screw holes to mount some sort of actuator bar for limit and home switches. My idea is the bar spans the length of the Gib screws and casting. I will take some pictures of the completed setup and post it soon.

FYI: I removed the Z axis torsion bar after determining it was useless with the CNC conversion. The Ball drive is more than adequate to move the head. I am collecting quite a bit of X2 parts now.

Woodenspoke

I ordered one for my laptop, however once it shipped, he told me it wouldn't work on a dell insperion.

Please note:
    The Trans PC Card - Universal Parallel Port
    for proper operation requires Notebook with fully
    functional PCMCIA slot according the PCMCIA 2.1
    standard with support of both voltages 3.3 and 5.0 Volt.
    Therefore Dell Inspiron and some HP zd8xxx machines
    which supply to the PCMCIA slot only 3.3 volts will not work properly.
    Standard parallel port and parallel devices operate at 5 Volts.
    All other brand machines are OK.

Oh no! We suck again!
    When all is said and done, more is said than done.

I do have an Inspiron 6000 but it works fine, no lost steps or driver issues. I didn't think to check if the PCMCIA slot was running at least the 2.1 or 3.0 standard but it should be.

I guess it also depends on what Inspiron model you have. I will be changing it out someday for a compact desktop but not now.

Woodenspoke

that's good to hear. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Todays update

I finally got tired of the spindle's, speed changing gear noise. Since I installed the belt drive kit from Little Machine Shop I have debated whether to remove the internal speed control gears which was an option.

Today I pulled off the head and stripped out everything, except the spindle and two bearings. A lot of holes in my X2 now; its starting to look like swiss cheese. Took about an hour but I removed all that noise. The inside gears were all plastic another weak point on the X2. I just wish I had a large enough arbor press to do the spindle job, would have saved a little time. I also tightened up the z axis Gib's while I had the fusion kit removed. With all the testing it had loosened up a little.

The x2 has certainly had a lot of pieces removed. My only regret is a set of axis hand cranks. Some times you just don't really want to turn on all that equipment just to move an axis a few inches. I have not found a hand wheel with a 1/4 in center hole, anyone have any suppliers?

Still awaiting my CandCNC mini i/o 2 and parts. I have been working on the home and limit switches but it has been slow going so far. Still experimenting with wire harnesses for the x axis.

Woodenspoke

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenspoke View Post
    Todays update

The x2 has certainly had a lot of pieces removed. My only regret is a set of axis hand cranks. Some times you just don't really want to turn on all that equipment just to move an axis a few inches. I have not found a hand wheel with a 1/4 in center hole, anyone have any suppliers?

Woodenspoke
    Try these people:

http://www.valtrainc.com/

I just bought some balanced cranks from them for my (non-CNC) X-2 - very nicely made. You could always turn a simple sleeve to take the 1/4" to whatever their standard bore is.

Pretorien

you can always get them from mcmaster carr.

When i had a sherline with xylotex conversion, i would notice movement in the other steppers when I would crank one. I could see a light on the board come on as a result. Was this normal? or do you have to unplug the steppers to use them in manual mode?

Page 3 of 3 123