586,318 active members*
3,804 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HELP..retrofit interact 4 spindle drive?

I just bought a interact 4 and im planning on doing a centroid retro. The machine has either a 4-5 HP DC yeah thats right DC spindle motor and a KTK drive. Everything on the machine works but i just want to update it all.

I need help finding a new DC spindle drive that will work with the centroids +-5VDC signal..

I know someone has ran into this before.

Dont really want to but how hard would it be to put a AC motor on this machine. Has anyone ever done that before? Did you still have power in the low RPMs?

PLEASE HELP GUYS!!!!!!!

Interact 4 Spindle Motor

To be honest, if it aint broke dont fix it!

The Interact 4 spindle motor would cost about $8,000 to replace and the KTK about $4000.

An equivilant AC motor would be looking close to $1800 and then you would need to pay someone for all the mechanical modifications too, not to mention a 5hp VFD.

On my machine the KTK is stuffed and I couldnt justify the $2000 repair bill. Instead I'm going for a solution which involves a 240 - 600v autotransformer, a 400v DC drive and a small variable transformer to tweak the field voltage. A local motor/drives specalist is supplying me with all the parts, diagrams and a brand new set of brushes for about $1600. The drive takes a 0-10v input for control and reversing will be carried out by separate contactors.

This is the cheapest way I could get the motor running with the same sort of degree of control as it had in the first place without breaking the bank; but seriously, if every thing works nicely now I'd leave it well alone!
    Dom
    http://www.ukrobotics.com/projects

thanks for the info. Keep me posted on your progress and exactly what parts you used and how you wired them so maybe i can do the same thing.

How do you like your interact 4?

Can you take heavy cuts on aluminum? Like tell me how deep you could take a 1/2 cutter in 6061 to cut a slot? And what about steel.

I havent really used the machine much and would like to know from someone that has milled allot of stuff with theirs.

The KTK dc drives are ok although a bit dated and I don`t think Control Techniques (Emerson) support them now.The only problem I`ve had with them is the field control card going down but it is a cheap fix and there is a guy in the UK who has a redesigned board which is a better alternative.Because they are an old control they don`t have the same level of protection as newer drives and if a motor flashes over it will probably take the drive with it.
    I have had a few of these which i have replaced with Mentor drives and I have one just now with a blown field card which I will repair if I am short of time or will replace with a Mentor or Eurotherm(SSD) if I have plenty time.
    Mark.

thats really good information....could you give me email address to where i can get the redesigned board. Or maybe instructions of how to fix the drive myself like you did.

gridley51: What sort of price would I be looking at for a Mentor or Eurotherm(SSD) KTK equivilant ?

camarogod98: From what I can see and have read, the series 2 interact 4 is the biggest, heavyist and most powerful CNC turret mill they have ever made. Anything bigger and you're into VMC territory.

It looks like a very solid machine and I look forward to using it but as yet I have never powered the thing up. The closest it has come to running so far is when I hooked up the servo motors to a 24v drill battery!

Hopefully it wont be too long before I find out just how good it is. (Sorry for the delayed reply btw. I've havnent had much time to browse forums lately)
    Dom
    http://www.ukrobotics.com/projects

I'll send parameters , but you will need to adjust the stops (limits) to fit your own machine. under the "mod key", cursor to code number and enter 95148 and then you can view or edit the existing parameters. Use the "go to" key to manuever thru the list. After entering use the "end block" key to exit. the parameters will stay stored if the back up batteries are good.

UK Robotics,you should be able to pick up a used Mentor drive for about £800 or less.If you do a search for servo on Ebay UK you will find companies selling other makes of drives.Phone round them and ask what they have and be prepared to haggle.You need a four quadrant drive so the Mentor part number should have an R in it.Some sellers say that it is a four quad as it has a reverse neon on the front.They all have that regardless of whether it is four quad or single quad.The manual which gives guidance on sizing and fitting,setting parameters etc can be downloaded from Control techniques.
    Mark.