586,113 active members*
3,052 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Initial 4-axis configuration

Initial 4-axis configuration

Hi There,

I recently picked up a copy of madCAM to try out a 4th axis but am having a seriously hard time getting the desired tool paths. I looked for a setup guide for a 4th axis but did not have any luck in finding one. Maybe this can be a good start.

My machine has a trunnion setup on the x axis. I was able to locate the axis of revolution and input it into the advanced machine setup but am getting tool paths that look good in the cam, but appearce very far out in the tool path viewer of in
    Mach3 in terms of both alignment of different tools as well as the DRO's listed in Mach3.

What looks like this in Rhino/MC simulation:
    Attachment 314220

Comes up as this in Mach3:
    Attachment 314222

The tool paths are of a roughing pass and a finishing pass using 2 different sized ball mills. Any thoughts or direction in reconciling this would be of tremendous help. Many thanks!
    -OW

Re: Initial 4-axis configuration

I would rough with a flat end, not a ball end mill.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Thanks for the input. Do you have any suggests that are relevant to the problem? Thanks

Are you sure that you have selected a 4-axis Mach3 postprocessor? If not, then just choose a 4-axis post processor and save it to your machine setup.

/Joakim

Hi Joakim,
    Thank you for your quick reply. I am using the Mach3 4-axis post processor and the machine is setup as a 4-axis as well. All of the 3axis functions seem to be working great, and even the numbers in the 4axis simulation are correct. It is only in the post that they seem incorrect. One thing notable is that I am attempting to cam parts where the x-axis zero is not through the part, but referenced in the machine setup. Would this matter?
    Thanks, O

I am not sure, but I don't think Mach3 is able to transform the coordinates from world cordinates to 4-axis coordinates. Therefor, the default Mach3 4-axis post processor in madCAM will do the transformations. Maybe this is why the graphics in Mach3 looks different from how it looks in Rhino where the toolpaths are in Rhino world coordinates.

The easiest way is to zero your machine when the cutter tip is locatet at your forth axis. If you set the zero point somewhere else, you can set the axis offset from the advanced options for your machine setup.

Have you tried to run the code for real? Maybe it will work better than it looks in the Mach3 graphics.

If your controller can handle the transformations automatically, you can remove two lines from the Mach3 post processor. Just search for the two lines as in the example below and remove them.
    :
    :
    *AXIS_1_CHAR*
    X
    *AXIS_2_CHAR*
    Y
    *AXIS_3_CHAR*
    Z
    *AXIS_4_CHAR*
    A
    *CUTTER_REFERENCE*
    TIP
    *TOOLPATH_OUTPUT* <== Remove this line if the controller will do the transformations.
    TRANSFORM <== Remove this line if the controller will do the transformations.
    *RAPID*
    G00"x""y""z""a"
    *END_SECTION*
    :
    :

/Joakim

Hi Joakim,

Thanks a bunch for the insight. I will attempt to run the part in the air and see how it goes. I do not think that that the machine will handle the transformations, but I will double check that as well. Thanks ton!