586,075 active members*
3,966 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > Feed rate and x and y axis freezes on screen with path pilot but machine is fine

Question Feed rate and x and y axis freezes on screen with path pilot but machine is fine

Hi everyone. I am using a Tormach PCNC 1100 with Path Pilot Controller. Once in a while when I load a program it will not show on the screen from the beginning. It shows somewhere in the middle of the program. Hit reset and nothing happens. Program will show the beginning when i start the cycle. Also sometimes my feed rate and spinle speed will not show correctly on the screen. Any Ideas?

Re: Feed rate and x and y axis freezes on screen with path pilot but machine is fine

What version of PP? What year did you buy the controller?

You might try removing and reseating the mesa card, and then disconnecting and reconnecting your PP cables. Might be a comm issue.

I have not seen anything like this. If it were me, if the above did not work, then I would do a fresh install of PP with the original installation disk, and then update it straight to the latest version.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Re: Feed rate and x and y axis freezes on screen with path pilot but machine is fine

Quote Originally Posted by AWood View Post
    Hi everyone. I am using a Tormach PCNC 1100 with Path Pilot Controller. Once in a while when I load a program it will not show on the screen from the beginning. It shows somewhere in the middle of the program. Hit reset and nothing happens. Program will show the beginning when i start the cycle. Also sometimes my feed rate and spinle speed will not show correctly on the screen. Any Ideas?
    I had some of these problems with the earlier versions, mine wouldnt zero the tool height, it would show the offset in the window instead of zero etc..
    In the later versions I havent noticed this happening, I have been using version 1.9.4b.
    mike sr

I have seen issues with the feed rate and spindle speed not updating as frequently as I would like (maybe an estimated update interval of 5 seconds).

I believe this is 100% related to the real-time OS and I usually see it when I am doing fast 3D machining around 100+ IPM. I have never had the slow UI updates cause any issues on the part, in fact, it's reassuring knowing that the OS is dedicating the resources to driving the machine and not to making sure the UI data is always up to date =)

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    .... then I would do a fresh install of PP with the original installation disk, and then update it straight to the latest version.
    Perhaps I misunderstood the update process- isn't each update of PP a complete reinstallation of PP? Seems to transfer some things (tool table, gcode files, etc) but also insists that one accept the license again. This all seems consistent with a reinstall of PP but not a complete hard drive wipe and reinstall everything. Don't disagree that in this situation one might want to do a complete cold reload of everything; just seems that reloading the latest PP release might be an easier first step if the update really is a reinstall.

What is creating your G-code ?

Can you post it here to see if it has any odd ball characters which are messing up PP?

Quote Originally Posted by AWood View Post

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Perhaps I misunderstood the update process- isn't each update of PP a complete reinstallation of PP?
    yes, but I believe the original OS install isn't part of the update files; could be wrong.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.