586,117 active members*
3,606 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Collecting Money from Dead Beat People on CNC zone
Page 1 of 3 123

Collecting Money from Dead Beat People on CNC zone

Hey There,

I have a person, I did some work for, in his shop, as a favor, due to his inability to keep his job flow in check. I did work for over a month and stopped because he ran out of money and short changed me $1500. As I did it as a favor, there is no paperwork, and that was a huge mistake. Since then he has purchased new machinery and is driving a new vehicle.

This person is a regular to the forum and is constantly getting help for free here. I am just curious how best some of you might deal with this situation.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Anderson Prototypes

Nothing you can do... As you said it was a favor and if there is no paperwork then there is nothing to hold up if you wanted to take it to court. All you can really do is make other aware of this persons actions and morals. We have people that do not want to pay us for our powder coating/liquid painting company's word after a job is complete, but they always sign a contract after we bid on the job. If they don't pay we take them to court.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Anderson View Post
    This person is a regular to the forum and is constantly getting help for free here. I am just curious how best some of you might deal with this situation.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Anderson Prototypes
    Just post his name so there is no question. That way you are helping other people that could get burned.

"Just post his name so there is no question. That way you are helping other people that could get burned."

I second that. It's time to weed out scum!
    Forget about global warming...Visualize using your turn signal!

If it were me, I would probably just drop it and not do the guy any more favors. Even if you could take him to court, it's not enough money to be worth the aggravation. JMO

Send him a link to this thread, and let him know that unless you get paid by [a reasonable date] you'll post his full details.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Dunn View Post
    Send him a link to this thread, and let him know that unless you get paid by [a reasonable date] you'll post his full details.
    That's pretty close to blackmail. I would not go that route.

Frederic

Wow man...

This is disturbing... I am sure you are truly pissed off and if what you are saying is true then you have a right to be. Honestly I gotta take offense to the idea of posting this persons name as the other posters are saying. The reality is that whatever the issue is between you two it is between YOU TWO>>> Anything you or he says about this is just one person's word against the others. I do not know you and of course do not know the other person but I am quite sure that posting his name will do little to make him pay you if he does not want to or cannot pay you for whatever reason. I have been in your position before and have wanted to let everyone on a forum know about the issue but did not for this very reason. The person may not be able to pay you, he may be in the future, and if you go on here and trash his name you can be sure you will never get any money from him. I know it is frustrating and if this person did indeed rip you off then I would try to keep contacting him to try to get him to pay you, do not get nasty with him, do not try to hurt him, do not try to defame him and at the end of the day it is you that is doing the right thing. Whether or not he pays you for the work in the future will determine who HE is. Good luck and peace

Pete

Dead Beat

I am pretty sure this dead beat isn't going to pay me. I would sure like it if he did, but I would really like to prevent others from getting ripped off by him. He operates from a rented garage and he lives in the upper floor, in Vancouver. I don't really know where he decided he was a machinist from, but has an old EMCO cnc lathe and a new and old Tormachs mills. A early 30s BMXer that banged his head too many times.

If this sounds like someone you know, and owes you money too, shot me an e-mail. I know at least 3 others right now. If you want work done, please choice again.

Moving forward.....
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by lancut View Post
    "Just post his name so there is no question. That way you are helping other people that could get burned."

I second that. It's time to weed out scum!

Doesn't ring a bell with me, but that should be good enough clues.
    If this thread lasts long enough, he no doubt knows who you are and will get the message
    when he reads this.
    Probably not going to pay you but at least he should realize that he needs to man up or at least try.
    If he has a business, there is a forum here for reporting such folks as a warning to others.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

I hope the mods delete this thread. I don't condone personal attacks in a public forum. There are 2 sides to every disagreement and we've heard one side.

Dead Beat

There is no attack here-------------just asking for input and throwing out some info to protect some people....

All the Best,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by pp7 View Post
    I hope the mods delete this thread. I don't condone personal attacks in a public forum. There are 2 sides to every disagreement and we've heard one side.

Yes, it's a bit borderline but I hope the mods let it stand as a cautionary tale. I've done business with a few cnczone members with no guarantee other than a digital handshake. I've never been burned which is more than I can say for deals done on Ebay and this says good things about the people who hang out here. That said, it's best to be cautious, some peoples handshakes have little value.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Rise above it. Don't lower yourself to the level of someone who would cheat you. You have to live with your conscience he has to live with his. Which would you rather live with?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

strongly suggest don't publish his name
    here in the UK it would probably be libel

I do hope he has a change of mind/circumstances and does eventually pay
    but from what you say it seems unlikely

you've left enough clues for anyone who knows him to identify him
    the anger will pass

Mike

Your right, and the other person should be able to come here and tell his side. This is not a jury, but I am sick and tired of people coming around and taking from people and causing other people hardship, then having other people come around and say "Be nice" and don't hurt someones feelings. Forgive and Forget, yeah that helped the next guy --- Not get screwed ---

If you don't take care of yourself, No one will. Anybody remember the "Granite mill Base" fiasco. If more people would have said something sooner, he wouldn't have gotten away with so much money. :nono:

Quote Originally Posted by mmcp42 View Post
    strongly suggest don't publish his name
    here in the UK it would probably be libel
    no. libel is when you say something that ISNT true. otherwise you are simply warning people of someone who is a cheat or theif.

shouldnt post the name anyway, because people like to pile on without all the facts straight. but in the end its up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    no. libel is when you say something that ISNT true.......
    If you call someone a deadbeat and claim they reneged on a debt when you have no paper trail I would imagine they have grounds for libel.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    If you call someone a deadbeat and claim they reneged on a debt when you have no paper trail I would imagine they have grounds for libel.
    depends. if he couldnt even prove he ever went there to do any work, sure.

in any case, airing dirty laundry on cnc zone never ends well, no matter if your right or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    in any case, airing dirty laundry on cnc zone never ends well for the scammer, no matter if your right or not.

There, I fixed it for you.

Page 1 of 3 123