586,036 active members*
3,598 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Budget 2000 to 3000 watt laser?

I'd like to be able to cut 5'x10' mild steel, stainless and aluminum stock in 24 gauge to 1/2" thickness with a high degree of accuracy. Waterjets are too high maintenance and repair costs. High def plasma doesn't handle the thin stuff well. Laser seems the best option, but I'd like to keep my initial purchase, transport and setup costs under a hundred thousand dollars. What I've mainly seen in that price segment are very high hours used equipment. Our needs are light - 2-6 hours a day max. Has anyone made a similar search? What have you found?

Re: Budget 2000 to 3000 watt laser?

if im understand this right.
    you are looking for 2000 watt laser cutting machine.

i suggest you go with the water jet.
    because the laser is far more expensive.

Jack
    Shandong Yishun CNC Machinery Co.,Ltd Email: [email protected]
    Whats App&Mobile: 0086-137-9314-0576 Skype: YSCNC05

as long as the machine is built right plasma will have no problem with 24 gauge stainless. if you have a watertable and are able to move accurately at around 400~500IPM you can get some really nice cuts. Don't know if you'll get into a decent hi def plasma, waterjet or laser at your budget.

A precision High definition plasma (Hypertherm HPR130XD) on a precision CNC machine will start at about $80k. A 2 to 3 kW fiber laser system that can cut 5 x 10 sheets of 1/2" steel will start at about $400k. A 5 x 10 waterjet system with a 50 HP pump for 1/2" (and thicker) will start at around $125k.

The plasma will be the fastest process....with excellent quality and tolerances on steel from 1/8" through 3/4" (130 amps...you can get a high def with more power for up to 2" steel). Can cut thinner for sure, but with looser tolerances than laser or water jet. Lowest cost per foot with plasma, by far.

The laser will produce the best productivity and accuracy similar to the waterjet on materials thinner than 1/4", but can go to 1/2" with cut quality similar to plasma, but much lower speeds. Much of the operating cost of laser is with assist gas consumption.

The abrasive water jet will have extremely good cut quality, no heat affected zone and can cut almost anything. Compared to the other processes it is slower, however the cut quality and lack of heat affected zone....as well as the ability to cut more than just metals make these systems attractive. Maintenance on the major brand waterjet pumps (AccuStream) is low compared to historical data on other systems.

If the plasma is adequate for your thicker materials....it is the only one that will meet your budget. Buy the plasma and farm out your thin materials to someone local with a laser cutting system.

Jim Colt Hypertherm