586,121 active members*
3,541 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > VH-5C Spindle Tread Measurement?

VH-5C Spindle Tread Measurement?

Anyone know the spindle thread measurement on the VH-5C rotary? Ive looked in all the manuals and have not found the spec. Thanks

Re: VH-5C Spindle Tread Measurement?

Are you talking about the worm gear pitch?

Attachment 317144

The nose of the spindle has a thread smaller than 2-1/4 by 8 and I have no way to measure it correctly.

Attachment 317148

Best that I can tell, the major diameter on the thread is 2.185" and around 10tpi. Could this be a metric thread? It's pretty close to 55mm dia, but I don't know the different pitches to TPI.

Looks like 2-3/16 x 10 from doing some web searching. Does anyone know the purpose of the threaded nose?

The thread is a 2 3/16 - 10 and the purpose is for a Buck Chuck Adapter plate http://buckchuck.com/userfiles/file/...ntifier(3).pdf if your looking for a new 5c or 4axis for your Fadal go here Index Designs CNC Rotary Table USA California Chatsworth

What stops the adapter plate from unscrewing? Is there a set screw or something?

you would think so , but believe it or not the design is to just spin on the adapter with enough speed and it is "supposed to stay" its not the greatest idea i agree but it goes backaways. Hardinge i believe started it on their lathes and if you reversed the Lathe and you didnt have it spun on tight enough it could and has spunoff chuck and all. Haas, Fadal, Index Designs, Hardinge etc. uses that same design because its been around. Its worse on the overseas brand 5c heads the use a 14 tpi and the possible problem is worse. But with 5c heads you normally arn't putting out the torque to ever have a problem. The more common problem is spinning the adapter on to tight and you may not be able to get the sucker off.... lol