586,075 active members*
4,155 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > New VF2 and air supply requirements
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by miljnor View Post
    You don't need a big tank for a rotary screw compressor as its there only for spikes in usage and so that the motor can cycle off if not in use!

So if you use something that is a huge short term air user (like a tire machine) then get a big tank otherwise the smaller tanks that come with most of the screw machines are fine.

the Older rotary screw machines that I've seen don't use a tank. The guy that used to be next door to me just had the thing running all the time. His electric bill must have been threw the roof though!
    Everything you say is correct but a big tank also acts as a moisture condenser/trap; the air dwells in the tank longer and cools more. With a big tank and an electric drain valve you could probably get away without a dryer.

Now that I have a dryer (got one within the last 2 years) I will never go back!

The amount of water that gets into a high use system in a production environment is enormous.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

The continuous run screws have an unloader valve in them. When the motor is just free wheeling the screw it doesn't pull many amps. In a high use application (I think 60% loaded time was the break) the constant run unit uses less power per cf than a start/ stop, due to not having the huge start up spike. This is also easier on the screws because they are always lubed.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Also while you are at it you should look into getting a good air drier; clean dry air is essential if you want to avoid annoying shutdowns because a solenoid valve sticks.[/quote]

If you can keep the relative humidity in the shop below 50% is the air drier still an imperative?

Vern

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Smith View Post
    ...I you can keep the relative humidity in the shop below 50% is the air drier still an imperative? Vern
    I would say yes. If your temperature is warm enough to be comfortable there will still be a lot of water in the air even at 50%. Our shop is below 50% humidity in the winter because it is heated but there is not much change in the volume of water coming out of the dryer.

Here in Phoenix I get a full cup of water out of my dryer in 6 hrs even on the hand crackin dry days.

Will the rechargeable desiccant filters (around $200.00) do the job for one machine? I’m in SW Florida. We run the AC most of the time and I have a dehumidifier in the shop as well.

Vern

When a machine is down because some stupid little solenoid valve has jammed due of moisture in the air you can be losing quite a few dollars per hour. Plus all the cost of replacing it if it is buried in the guts of the machine The dessicant cartridge costs 200, if you add another 300 you can get a dryer.

Thanks for the advice. Can you suggest a source for a small quality dryer? All I have here is a TM-1P tool room mill and an air nozzle.

Vern

Been looking at Eaton's site for dryer and compressor

I'm also looking for a new compressor and dryer for my soon to be delivered TM-1 mill, and for a bead blasting cabinet, and I have been considering this companies products.

Anybody familiar with Eaton's products??

They seem very knowledgable about compressed air. Have a look! Joe

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/506941.htm

Look up cactus dryer. It is a membrane type dryer, that does require a bleed.

http://www.airproducts.com/Products/...tm#performance
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into both of them tomorrow.

Vern

Thanks gunsmither, I also found Eatons site and just bought a dryer off of them, I agree they do seem very knowledgable and are happy to answer all your questions, they appear to be a small company building quality products with really good support.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmither View Post
    I'm also looking for a new compressor and dryer for my soon to be delivered TM-1 mill, and for a bead blasting cabinet, and I have been considering this companies products.

Anybody familiar with Eaton's products??

They seem very knowledgable about compressed air. Have a look! Joe

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/506941.htm

We run an IR rotary 25hp with a 10hp of the same as a back up. We have a compressor room with outside air for the intake. We run 7 VMC's a sinker and other various things in the metal and wood sides of the shop. They both are great machines and have no issues. We do normal maintanence on them and that has been about it.

I looked into the membrane air driers. Their main advantage seems to be a lack of moving parts and, of course, no electric draw. The down side is the constant air bleed to purge the air of moisture. The Cactus air drier web site has quite a bit of technical information showing the amount of CFM loss as it relates to different air temperature and humidity levels. As one would expect, the more moisture the membrane is required to extract the more air it must bleed off. It looked to me like the extra demand on the compressor to compensate for the air bleed would at least off set the amount of current used by a refrigerant drier. If you are marginal on CFM capacity you certainly would not want to use the membrane drier.

Joe,
    I also have a one man shop and I started using a Vertical Machining Center in 1999 (not a Haas). I have a 65 ft. long shop and I put a 60 gallon vertical single stage compressor like yours at one end, and the machine almost all the way at the other end. It ran often and took a while to go from 90 to 135 psi. It worked well, except for frequent running and some occasional water, which can always come with single stage compressors. In 2001, a customer gave me a 120 gallon horizontal two stage unit with an honest 10hp three stage motor and 37 cfm I believe. It shuts off at 160 psi. I love it. It's quite loud, but with twice as large a tank and 50% more pressure range from on to off, it runs one third as often and it refills itself in about 60 seconds. One thing you might take a look at to reduce your air consumption is how much air the Haas uses for the air blast on tool changes. My machine had a loud air blast that used a lot of air. I went behind my machine and found the flow control for this function. I not only reduced the air consumption, I also got a quieter machine that was nicer to be around.

Dave Reagan

Page 2 of 2 12